IGNORED

Straight wall cartridges.....why not?

13 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

They currently allow the most scary weapon of all to hunt in NJ, the terrifying AR15. I say that tongue in cheek about that weapon being terrifying, but that is how liberal media sees it. Shouldn’t be hard to get straightwalled cartridges approved in NJ. 

I hope so

50 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I don’t see it happening. Allowing rifles is relaxing regulations, giving hunters more freedom. If somebody gets injured with one of the new rifles it’ll come back to bite them. They won’t put their necks out.  That’s the way it is in New Jersey everyone’s afraid of being sued.

I’d love to use my 444 Marlin though.

I second using a 444 marlin.

As a former NJ resident. I do not have a dog in this fight.   However, I have to say that the deer hunting regulations regarding cartridges and ammo have changed considerably from when I was a new hunter.  Back in the late fifties and early sixties, I distinctly recall that the only firearm permitted to legally take deer was a shotgun.  I also distinctly remember that it was completely illegal to use slugs, pumpkin balls, strung or waxed shot.   My understanding was that the prohibition against slugs and such was because NJ was too densely populated.   I hunted in NJ with a 10 ga., using  3 1/2"  OOO buck cartridge, and the effective range was about 70 yards. Beyond that the pellet spread was simply too large to assure a reliable kill.  Oh and crossbows were illegal also.  Best I could handle was a 55#  recurve which I could shoot fairly well out to about 40 yrds. and later a 60# 2 wheeler compound(50% letoff), that I could also shoot fairly well out to about 40 yrds.

I do find it humorous that in a state which is VASTLY more populated than it was back in the sixties, current regulations permit slug guns, scopes, rifled barrels, crossbows, etc. many of which extend the effective killing range well beyond the 60- 70 yards I was able to obtain with  that monster of a shotgun.    I guess it is safer today to touch off a 120+ yard shot using a saboted round out of a 3 1/2" chambered  12 ga. with a scope and rifled barrel than it was back in my day.  Or safer to let a mechanical broadhead on a bolt fly out to about 80 yards from a scoped crossbow. 

It is all good.  Like I said, I just find it humorous.

RayG

1 hour ago, Raygubernat said:

As a former NJ resident. I do not have a dog in this fight.   However, I have to say that the deer hunting regulations regarding cartridges and ammo have changed considerably from when I was a new hunter.  Back in the late fifties and early sixties, I distinctly recall that the only firearm permitted to legally take deer was a shotgun.  I also distinctly remember that it was completely illegal to use slugs, pumpkin balls, strung or waxed shot.   My understanding was that the prohibition against slugs and such was because NJ was too densely populated.   I hunted in NJ with a 10 ga., using  3 1/2"  OOO buck cartridge, and the effective range was about 70 yards. Beyond that the pellet spread was simply too large to assure a reliable kill.  Oh and crossbows were illegal also.  Best I could handle was a 55#  recurve which I could shoot fairly well out to about 40 yrds. and later a 60# 2 wheeler compound(50% letoff), that I could also shoot fairly well out to about 40 yrds.

I do find it humorous that in a state which is VASTLY more populated than it was back in the sixties, current regulations permit slug guns, scopes, rifled barrels, crossbows, etc. many of which extend the effective killing range well beyond the 60- 70 yards I was able to obtain with  that monster of a shotgun.    I guess it is safer today to touch off a 120+ yard shot using a saboted round out of a 3 1/2" chambered  12 ga. with a scope and rifled barrel than it was back in my day.  Or safer to let a mechanical broadhead on a bolt fly out to about 80 yards from a scoped crossbow. 

It is all good.  Like I said, I just find it humorous.

RayG

Don’t forget that we have migrated more and more to tree stands. That means we are shooting downward. Helps on the safety end of things. 

13 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

Out west they are using Muzzleloaders capable of consistently killing at 400-600 yards. It’s a small percentage but outfitters are using that edge (they own the very expensive guns) to get clients to apply for easier to draw muzzleloader tags. Same goes with crossbow seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/muzzleloaders/

23:4-13. Regulations concerning guns
No person shall use in hunting any fowl or animals of any kind any firearm except as permitted by the provisions of the State Fish and Game Code, or, in the absence of such provision in said code, except a shotgun being not larger than ten gauge, and capable of holding not more than two cartridges at one time, or that may be fired more than twice without reloading, or use a silencer on any firearm when hunting for game or fowl, under a penalty of twenty dollars ($20.00) for each offense; provided, however, that the division in its discretion may issue permits for the use of a rifle for shooting woodchucks only. No person shall have any missile larger than as permitted by the provisions of the State Fish and Game Code, or, in the absence of such provision in said code, larger than number four shot in possession in the woods or fields at any time other than during the open season for killing deer, under a penalty of one hundred dollars ($100.00) for each offense.

23:4-11. Hunting, except during seasons and in manner provided, prohibited
No person shall capture, kill, injure or destroy or pursue, with that intent, any of the game birds or animals enumerated in this chapter on his own property or on that of another person, except during the seasons, at the times and in the manner provided by the respective provisions of the State Fish and Game Code, or, in the absence of such provisions in said code, except during the seasons, at the times and in the manner provided in this chapter. A person who violates this section shall be liable to the penalties provided in this chapter for the violations thereof.

This being said I believe the NJ Fish and Game Council could allow for straight wall cartridges. these two statues are what gives the council the power to move forward. 

Edited by tuny

On 2/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, Devil Horns said:

What is the definition of a rifle? I would think rifled slug guns and muzzleloaders would fall into the definition of a rifle just the same as straight wall cartridge firearms. 

A pistol would fall under a straight walled cartridge also I would think 🤔 

I spoke to a gentleman in NJ HE and he said this has been looked at in the past and that if addressed it would have to be limited to traditional pistol cartridges only as some of the new ones are too powerful.  We also discussed that they could only be used from an elevated platform thus reducing the chance of overshooting your target. Lastly there would be no autoloaders allowed. These are some of the ideas they agree with, so if you want this to move forward contact your county representative to the NJ Federation of Sportsman. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also this does not need to be approved by the legislator, just the F&G council.