IGNORED

First Dog

31 minutes ago, Roon said:

Beagles can be stubborn but any dog if the will is there can and will be productive at what you train for.

You are absolutely correct in this part of your statement as I know 1st hand because my best coon dog was a cur (mut)that out ran my two black and tans and had a better nose, but he was an anomaly just like I am sure your dog was, the majority of the time trying to train a dog  that was not a natural tracker or birder is a frustrating experience and you save yourself a lot of time and effort by going with a birder, or a rabbit dog . But again I say you are correct in the right dog regardless of breeding will do what you with the right amount of GOOD NOSE, LOVE AND WORK but most of the time that dog will wind up just being your best friend which is also a good thing,

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I’ve trained both my shorthairs. I’m no expert, by any means, but I’ve taught them to whoa, heel, retrieve and be steady on point. They’re not perfect, but if you need a hand or some tips, feel free to reach out. 

Best of luck and enjoy the process!

8 minutes ago, smittty said:

Is say what it says I didn’t change the wording. But don’t Sweat it I could be what ever you want me to

i swear i dont have patience for this site some nights lol. i have no idea what your comment means. i hope @Roon knows i was intending that the guy he ran into hunting was an asshole. NOT people commenting on this post. 

6 minutes ago, Kype said:

i swear i dont have patience for this site some nights lol. i have no idea what your comment means. i hope @Roon knows i was intending that the guy he ran into hunting was an asshole. NOT people commenting on this post. 

I understand what you said, possibly he is the old man with the Brittany that didn't know what a bird smelt like lol.

I kinda got lost myself

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

Good luck with what ever dog you choose! Dogs are Angels with Paws.  I am partial to the Spaniels, but all dog breeds are darn cool. We hunt our pups, but remember they are home companions 95% of the time. Pick a pup that matches your lifestyle and future potential tasks. 

B02169CC-A14A-4DA4-9661-63CD5FFCB689.jpeg

Edited by Batsto

1 hour ago, Batsto said:

Good luck with what ever dog you choose! Dogs are Angels with Paws.  I am partial to the Spaniels, but all dog breeds are darn cool. We hunt our pups, but remember they are home companions 95% of the time. Pick a pup that matches your lifestyle and future potential tasks. 

B02169CC-A14A-4DA4-9661-63CD5FFCB689.jpeg

What a GORGEOUS pup BATSO! 

I trained my first lab made the mistake of always walking her without a leash.  She would find birds but wouldn't be faster than a walk and not more than 10 yrds from me.  Lesson learned but on the bright side she listens better than most dogs encountered out @Swamp ratcan attest to that.

I now am training a q6 week old chocolate lab.  Grat with ny kids and is showing great potential in the field.  Im buying birds this week for the wnd time to keep her going.  At home on walks its leash once afield no leash she is staying 30 to 50 yrds and covering ground.  She listens but still gets the puppy stubborn attitued and of course the puppy play.  Once she starts to play and stop hunting we play for a bit and than call it..  actual training and working is getting longer each day out

20220105_135800.jpg

20211230_085530.jpg

Resized_20211024_104939.jpeg

20211025_191834.jpg

Resized_Snapchat-1453386908(1).jpeg

Edited by vdep217

I grew up over beagles running rabbits. We switched over to pointers when land was dissolving at a rapid rate.

now I see the state buying land back and see more opportunities for rabbit hunting.

As for beagles for pheasant maybe as a by product but if pheasant or quail was my focus Id choose a pointing breed.

2 hours ago, Kype said:

i never called you out. stop having a guilty conscience. i said "like the one you ran into that day hunting" meaning the guy that roon ran into. 

@smittty-Just a heads up.  I am seeing this thread for the first time tonight and it is evident that @Kypewas in no way referring to you. He was directly referring to the guy who @Roon had the issue with. 

Hope this clears things up.....

3 hours ago, FeniQuest217 said:

I just love the feedback of all points regardless of what they are. I am new to training a dog yes but no stranger to dogs at all. I feel as though things always read differently on a forum page no matter what you are trying to convey.  Training is on the owner and i fully am committed to that, i just always theorized that dogs that were bred for hunting have a bit more of a calmness, obedience, intelligence, companionship versus dogs that were not bred for it. Just a theory based off my own experiences.

I plan on training the dog with the basics and fundamentals and mixing in with some of the hunting training and seeing how she performs. But in no way will i force her to hunt if it doesn't take, and honestly if she does want to, that's the bonus in my opinion. I've just been putting off getting a dog for a while, and the wife showed me a picture of one she loved and lets just say before i knew it we were completing the application. I'm jsut looking for feedback, comments, suggestions, whatever everyone been so helpful with the hunting gear and stuff - figure tips tricks for people in the same state training may have soom good advice. Like which WMA is great to try out for training? BlackRiver i believe is the closest to where i live so i figure that'd be the best place to start trying out training days.

My dads Vizsla was a good hunting dog but he was stubborn. I feel like dogs will always keep a bit of themselves no matter what, kind of like saying 'okay enough human push me but not that far'

Im not surprised somebody would make a comment like that about your dog Roon, people suck, but im glad he showed up the ol man! 

No law out there you can’t have 2 dogs.  You have a house dog and now you need a hunting dog-and vizsla is a great breed.  I’ve seen ones used for hunting and some that were just awesome pets.