IGNORED

Thinking I want to switch from a heavy safety vest to a harness, need recomendations

gregtpal

I  only use rock climbing harnesses .

be advised that most of those have GEAR loops on their sides, they are NOT to attach a lineman’s belt to .

You need to either buy a. Harness that has weight rated d rings on the side, or as many of us do attach the lineman’s belt behind the section that attaches for the legs 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

13 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I  only use rock climbing harnesses .

be advised that most of those have GEAR loops on their sides, they are NOT to attach a lineman’s belt to .

You need to either buy a. Harness that has weight rated d rings on the side, or as many of us do attach the lineman’s belt behind the section that attaches for the legs 

I settled on the Hawk because of gear loop and it comes with the lineman's belt.

10 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I settled on the Hawk because of gear loop and it comes with the lineman's belt.

That harness is still a suspension harness .

‘I absolutely will not wear that type of harness.

they are all known for suspension trauma, as well as possibly ripping your nuts off during a fall.

‘If you get hung up to get righted to the tree, or disconnect your harness is tough .

we have done drills at work just lifting guys inches off the ground , and  most can not get righted in the trauma straps,quickly , and even fewer can in buckle the strap that’s now pulled above their head .

a RC harness on a fall  sets you back towards the tree allowing you to easily get back to Safty.

it also is 1/10th an obstruction to shooting a bow all around the tree as  the typical tree harnesses are .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

You could try buying a tree saddle and just wear it as a safety harness. This way you have approved lineman belt loops. I hunt out of a saddle platform and my hang on stands using the tree saddle simply for the tie offs for lineman’s being either way I hunt I carry in and out. 

I love seeing people that tell you to wear a rock harness when you specifically mentioned you want a lineman’s belt attachment. And then argue with other people how why the rock climbing harness is better, even though it does not have lineman belt attachments. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

6 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

we have done drills at work just lifting guys inches off the ground , and  most can not get righted in the trauma straps,quickly

I did my own test 4 years ago and it very quickly convinced me those hunting harnesses are not for me. Every hunter that uses a harness should do a test themselves. I predict if all hunters do a test with their harness (like you say, just hang a couple inches off the ground for only a few minuets), most will realize those hunting harnesses suck and will want to switch to something else. Either a climbing harness or one of those gadgets that slowly lower you immediately after a fall.

I went to a Black Diamond Bod climbing harness.

8 minutes ago, Ron said:

You could try buying a tree saddle and just wear it as a safety harness. This way you have approved lineman belt loops. I hunt out of a saddle platform and my hang on stands using the tree saddle simply for the tie offs for lineman’s being either way I hunt I carry in and out. 

I love seeing people that tell you to wear a rock harness when you specifically mentioned you want a lineman’s belt attachment. And then argue with other people how why the rock climbing harness is better, even though it does not have lineman belt attachments. 

Many do  have lineman’s belt attachements

what I warned him of was many guys think the gear  loops on others are for that use .

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

9 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

I notice the Black Diamond alpine doesn't have a tether strap to attach to the tree.  How do you guys attach & do you keep it at waist height or shoulder or above your head like a hunting harness?

There are some long threads on here from a year or two ago that talk about this very thing ("how do you attach to the tree with a climbing harness"). Find those threads and you'll get lots of ideas.

I use a rabbit runner that I bought from EBay from a guy who makes them. Attached to the climbing harness on one end and to the tree rope caribiner on the other. I bought a 3', 4' and 5' rabbit runner and will use the one depending on the best setup. I want it long enough to be out of your way but short enough to catch your fall.

But check those past threads - other people have other set ups that they talk about.