IGNORED

Thinking I want to switch from a heavy safety vest to a harness, need recomendations

gregtpal

Thanks for the info.  I think I like the rock climbing harness since its only on waist & legs.  I don't worry much about suspension trauma because I'm not planning on hanging around long after a fall.  I'm either climbing back in the stand or shimmying down the tree if the stand is gone.  I would like to buy all I need rather than start fabricating though.

48 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

That harness is still a suspension harness .

‘I absolutely will not wear that type of harness.

they are all known for suspension trauma, as well as possibly ripping your nuts off during a fall.

‘If you get hung up to get righted to the tree, or disconnect your harness is tough .

we have done drills at work just lifting guys inches off the ground , and  most can not get righted in the trauma straps,quickly , and even fewer can in buckle the strap that’s now pulled above their head .

a RC harness on a fall  sets you back towards the tree allowing you to easily get back to Safty.

it also is 1/10th an obstruction to shooting a bow all around the tree as  the typical tree harnesses are .

Great info Dan. I'm not in the shape I was 10 years ago. The Black Diamond RC harnesses look  like a great alternative to the standard suspension type. 

1 minute ago, electric10162 said:

Great info Dan. I'm not in the shape I was 10 years ago. The Black Diamond RC harnesses look  like a great alternative to the standard suspension type. 

I won’t wear the other type . 

I use the Black Diamond bod and alpine bod . 

I took the gear loops off the harnesses I hunt with so they are even less profiled . 

On the bod harness I left the gear straps so I can use them to hold my sticks as I set them . 

and I use a conventional Hss lineman’s belt with a rope man 1 . 
to set both sticks and stands . 

a rabbit runner to attach to tree above stand for hunting tie off 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, gregtpal said:

Thanks for the info.  I think I like the rock climbing harness since its only on waist & legs.  I don't worry much about suspension trauma because I'm not planning on hanging around long after a fall.  I'm either climbing back in the stand or shimmying down the tree if the stand is gone.  I would like to buy all I need rather than start fabricating though.

What's long to you?  Suspension trauma can set in in 5 minutes.  What if you are unconscious or break a bone upon fall leg gets caught in stand arm ec.  The point of the fall arrest apparatus is to be prepared for the just in case.  As Dan said with a regular harness most people can not right themselves a few inches off ground let alone 20 ft in a tree

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

I won’t wear the other type . 

I use the Black Diamond bod and alpine bod . 

I took the gear loops off the harnesses I hunt with so they are even less profiled . 

On the bod harness I left the gear straps so I can use them to hold my sticks as I set them . 

and I use a conventional Hss lineman’s belt with a rope man 1 . 
to set both sticks and stands . 

a rabbit runner to attach to tree above stand for hunting tie off 

OK.  I'm either getting the alpine BOD or the BOD.  Any suggestion on which one?  Do you think I can tie off with the lineman's belt & skip the rabbit runner & ascender?

26 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

What's long to you?  Suspension trauma can set in in 5 minutes.

That's why I say people should try it themselves. I couldn't believe it when I did. I mean, I literally had pain shooting through my groin area within 1 to 2 minutes. I couldn't believe how fast it took to get as bad as it got.

And when I say test - I mean, don't hold yourself up by holding on to anything. Go up one or two steps on a ladder stand and hang off, putting all your weight on the harness (just like if you were hanging after a fall). Don't cheat. See how long you can last.

2 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

I'm either getting the alpine BOD or the BOD.

I only have experience with the BOD. But I know others have the alpine and like it too. Either way you go should be good, but I can't say for sure. But I will say this though - check the size! I'm not big by any stretch (6', 170 lbs) and I bought an XL. Reasons are (1) ever see a fat mountain climber? :)  I think the sizes run small because most mountain climbers aren't 250, 300 pounds :) (2) you are going to be wearing bulkier clothing than the shorts and light shirts most mountain climbers wear. So you need to take into consideration.

57 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

That's why I say people should try it themselves. I couldn't believe it when I did. I mean, I literally had pain shooting through my groin area within 1 to 2 minutes. I couldn't believe how fast it took to get as bad as it got.

And when I say test - I mean, don't hold yourself up by holding on to anything. Go up one or two steps on a ladder stand and hang off, putting all your weight on the harness (just like if you were hanging after a fall). Don't cheat. See how long you can last.

I only have experience with the BOD. But I know others have the alpine and like it too. Either way you go should be good, but I can't say for sure. But I will say this though - check the size! I'm not big by any stretch (6', 170 lbs) and I bought an XL. Reasons are (1) ever see a fat mountain climber? :)  I think the sizes run small because most mountain climbers aren't 250, 300 pounds :) (2) you are going to be wearing bulkier clothing than the shorts and light shirts most mountain climbers wear. So you need to take into consideration.

When I was an active hunter Ed instructor I would demonstrate a fall.  My harness has 2 relief straps attached and 2 screw ins rubber banded on strap.

I have this one:  https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/harness-pre-load/products/real-tree-ultra-lite

Comes with a lineman's belt.  Also comes with a relief strap, which you should carry with you and learn how to use.  I am very happy with it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

13 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I have this one:  https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/harness-pre-load/products/real-tree-ultra-lite

Comes with a lineman's belt.  Also comes with a relief strap, which you should carry with you and learn how to use.  I am very happy with it.

I'm currently using this vest. I bought it off someone on njh years ago.  Its good but heavy.  I'm changing because rc harnesses are very light & nothing above the waist lets me wear it on walk in then quickly put on or off  heavy upper layers even while in a climbing stand without disconnecting from tree

4 hours ago, Zipper said:

I switched to  a rock climbing system years ago.  Best thing I ever did. 

Enough people said the same so I went ahead & ordered a black diamond bod & hss linesman rope.  I already have an extra carabiner so That sshould get me started & I'll add as I need if I need.  Hoping the linesman rope will also serve as my tether

Edited by gregtpal

12 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

Enough people said the same so I went ahead & ordered a black diamond bod & hss linesman rope.  I already have an extra carabiner so That sshould get me started & I'll add as I need if I need.  Hoping the linesman rope will also serve as my tether

You can use your linens as the strap on the tree . 
it’s not correct for use while in the stand .

buy a 4’ rabbit runner . That attaches to the Front of your harness . Hang the lineman’s /Safty belt approx eye level .

the rabbit runner will hang along side you and not encumber your movements unless you surpass a full circle .

It will be just long enough for you to sit down still with just enough clearance it doesn’t pull on you .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/