IGNORED

Backyard birds have vanished ????

Msgdan

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this.....but before last weeks  heavy rains,  I would have to fill my backyard bird feeder at least 3 times a week, with birds always around.

I filled it up the day before the storm, and now it's been 8 days and it looks like the feeder has not been touched once !!!   Still filled to the top !!

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this in their yard ???    I am in Parsippany, if that helps...

Thanks

Danny V

Yes the same with me it's been about 2 weeks now I'm in Hunterdon county. The robins are gone. I haven't seen the Cardinals only one or two blue jays always had Dove's haven't seen them the starlings are gone but that's a blessing. A couple little woodpeckers on the suet once in awhile but not as much as it used to be. Maybe a dozen sparrows left but they're not hitting the seed as hard as they used to. Used to have geese flyovers all the time. Nothing, even the crows are quiet.Odd!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I'm between Colliers Mills and Assunpink and the birds are not around... occasionally hear a woodpecker but that's it.    Maybe they don't like the dead deer smell ?

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

haven't seen birds in my yard for 2 months.  There is a disease going through the bird population.  Wife sent me a email about it.  I'll see if I still have it

Yes I heard that. But don't know the details. I did find two dead birds a week apart a couple weeks ago. A cat bird and a sparrow.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks greybeard. Says you can get sick possibly by touching them. I guess I dodged two bullets. I just left them there within a day they were gone must be a sick cat or fox out there.lol

I still see birds every day.  Had a cardinal staring at me this AM as I got ready for school, and there was a hummingbird buzzing by yesterday.  Plenty of other birds too.  However, the cat bird population is lower.  I blame the nesting pair of red-tailed hawks next door.  They have a habit of murdering cat birds.  We have enough of them to go around.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.