IGNORED

Load Recommendation for Blackhorn 209 **UPDATE**

archer36

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

I use TC shockwaves as well so I have a question. Do you get complete pass through sometimes? Last deer I shot at close range went in behind shoulder and came out though the opposite shoulder, two tiny holes. I shot many deer with it, they always go down but for some reason the bullet does not always do what it should, expand and cause internal damage instead of clean pass through. 

I get pass throughs.   My shots are all short, though.  The last deer I shot with it was at 60 yards.  Bullet went through both shoulders, completely destroying them.  Deer face plowed for 30yds before dying.

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

I use TC shockwaves as well so I have a question. Do you get complete pass through sometimes? Last deer I shot at close range went in behind shoulder and came out though the opposite shoulder, two tiny holes. I shot many deer with it, they always go down but for some reason the bullet does not always do what it should, expand and cause internal damage instead of clean pass through. 

Try hornady SST.  They have a slightly smaller diameter than the shockwaves, so they are the best I've found for my tight barrel.  They mushroom out into flower pedals and expend all the energy in the deer with a good exit hole if it does come out.  Most I find just under the skin on the opposite side.  Haven't had a deer go more than 60yds, dropping some of them in their tracks.

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

Try hornady SST.  They have a slightly smaller diameter than the shockwaves, so they are the best I've found for my tight barrel.  They mushroom out into flower pedals and expend all the energy in the deer with a good exit hole if it does come out.  Most I find just under the skin on the opposite side.  Haven't had a deer go more than 60yds, dropping some of them in their tracks.

I've tried those, but they didn't group as well for me.  I'm shooting a CVA Optima V2.

1 hour ago, yoda4x4 said:

One additional comment... If you go with BH209, you need to use a hot primer. I use Winchester shotgun primers.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Winchesters are a cooler primer, CCI and Federal are hottest followed by Fiocchi and Cheditte with the coolest being Remington

Edited by MGHunter66

AWM

14 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Winchesters are a cooler primer, CCI and Federal are hottest followed by Fiocchi and Cheditte with the coolest being Remington

I gave all of my Winchester and Remingtom primers away. The Remingtons were the worst. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

5 hours ago, archer36 said:

I use to use them and switched to "muzzleloading" primers which are weaker. So is there a "standard" shotshell AND "magnum" primer or are all 209 shotshell primers the same? 

Blackhorn containers says do not use muzzy 209 primers. Need the shotshell ones. I am going to try too as I can't stand the smell of the pyradex, lol