IGNORED

Load Recommendation for Blackhorn 209 **UPDATE**

archer36

I'm going to changeover  to Blackhorn for next season. I'm using 300 gr. Hornady SST's .

I am no "long range" shooter. I am more interested in accuracy. I know that Pyrodex users complained that their accuracy degraded when going from 100 to 150 grains so I'm not looking to use the max load because I'm NOT shooting out to 200 yds. 

What powder charge do you recommend?

Thanks. 

Edited by archer36

I'm switching to 209 too this year with 250gr sst's and would also like to know what others are loading.  I'll start with 100gr. That's what I usually shoot.  Tried 150 once after sighting in with 100gr, and had no idea where the bullet went.   Was thinking I might have to go a little less with 209 to get consistency.

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I'm switching to 209 too this year with 250gr sst's and would also like to know what others are loading.  I'll start with 100gr. That's what I usually shoot.  Tried 150 once after sighting in with 100gr, and had no idea where the bullet went.   Was thinking I might have to go a little less with 209 to get consistency.

I don't use 209, I use pyrodex, but I read the 209 is much more powerful and you can not use the same amount as you would with pyro.

3 minutes ago, barrike said:

I've used 100 grains by weight with good results.  I've gotten a few 1 hole 100yd groups with it.  I use TC Shockwaves.

I use TC shockwaves as well so I have a question. Do you get complete pass through sometimes? Last deer I shot at close range went in behind shoulder and came out though the opposite shoulder, two tiny holes. I shot many deer with it, they always go down but for some reason the bullet does not always do what it should, expand and cause internal damage instead of clean pass through. 

I just started using 209 BH with Hornady 250 and CCI mag primers this year. 90 grains of BH measured in the BH tubes was recommended and has been preforming great for my CVA. 
If shooting a CVA make sure you get the proper breech plug for the powder. When cleaning do not use water based solutions. 

11 minutes ago, OMC said:

I just started using 209 BH with Hornady 250 and CCI mag primers this year. 90 grains of BH measured in the BH tubes was recommended and has been preforming great for my CVA. 
If shooting a CVA make sure you get the proper breech plug for the powder. When cleaning do not use water based solutions. 

I'm using a CVA also and already bought the 209 breech plug. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Make sure that you use magnum 209 shot shell primers. 

I use to use them and switched to "muzzleloading" primers which are weaker. So is there a "standard" shotshell AND "magnum" primer or are all 209 shotshell primers the same? 

Edited by archer36

16 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I use to use them and switched to "muzzleloading" primers which are weaker. So is there a "standard" shotshell AND "magnum" primer or are all 209 shotshell primers the same? 

Yes. I just like the magnum 209 primers better. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".