IGNORED

Antler Odor

oldghost

I received my European skull mount from the taxidermist about two weeks ago and it smelled like dead meat. I washed the antlers with white vinegar and it continuesvto smell. I also used Dawn dish detergent and it continues to smell. I have also washed it with Goop hand cream and it continues to smell. I left the mount outdoors between washings and it still smells. I am now using baking soda in a paste form and applied it to the antlers and enclosed it in a plastic bag with a bucket of dry baking soda and sealed it up hoping that this would rid of the odor. I have never encountered this problem and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have to hopefully rid the smell of my skull mount.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook C202SA using Tapatalk

I've done several Euro's and have encountered same problem.  It's just a little membrane or meat left somewhere in the skull. I put a little borax in the skull and it usually fixes the smell.
The mount is all dry and clean. The horns smell

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, oldghost said:

No, it definitely the antlers. The smell stays on my hands after I hold the head.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Sure, because the smell rises  from the skull into the antlers. There is nothing in antlers that can smell. 

Edited by Lunatic