IGNORED

Shotgun or Muzzleloader

hydro psyche

2 minutes ago, smittty said:

No they have tubes that hold powder and bullet and even primer I always carry two pre measured tubes in with me  and can reload in under 15 seconds 

Interesting, i didn’t see them for Blackhorn. I will have to check into them

AWM

21 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Interesting, i didn’t see them for Blackhorn. I will have to check into them

I don't understand when you say made for B/H you can put any kind of powder you want in them.  what you do is pre measure the powder pour into tube the your sabot and bullet seat in the top of tube and keeps the charge air tight 

42 minutes ago, smittty said:

I don't understand when you say made for B/H you can put any kind of powder you want in them.  what you do is pre measure the powder pour into tube the your sabot and bullet seat in the top of tube and keeps the charge air tight 

B/H has there own tubes designed to use volume of there product. Since there is a volumetric conversion guys do not have to weigh charges for their product. The tubes are B/H specific and not to be used with any other type of powder.

AWM

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

B/H has there own tubes designed to use volume of there product. Since there is a volumetric conversion guys do not have to weigh charges for their product. The tubes are B/H specific and not to be used with any other type of powder.

No you need to get a TC u view then you you can use any tube

3 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

You can or use their volumetric tubes. 

3 hours ago, smittty said:

No they have tubes that hold powder and bullet and even primer I always carry two pre measured tubes in with me  and can reload in under 15 seconds 

3 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

No, tube holds powder only

Thanks>
I was considering it for a moment but it sounds like more things to do and I am not sure there is any real benefit.

7 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Thanks>
I was considering it for a moment but it sounds like more things to do and I am not sure there is any real benefit.

There's nothing to it any time you want to see how easy it is let me know I'll show you and you can try it for yourself 

40 minutes ago, smittty said:

There's nothing to it any time you want to see how easy it is let me know I'll show you and you can try it for yourself 

I’m sure it is very easy. However the pellets are much easier. I would consider it if my gun was not performing but it is. 
I appreciate the info 

Love the muzzy but if you’re only going to hunt a few days a year with it and want minimal hassle get a shotgun. You can hunt in the rain no worries, multiple follow up shots, zero thought just sight it in and go, no measuring, no throwing out pellets you didn’t use, etc. 

most people can only hunt a few times a year even with the long season so the extra time you can go doesn’t mean you will.

Edited by Herd Buck

On 1/7/2020 at 4:07 PM, Lunatic said:

To start with I would go with pellets instead of lose powder. I know some will chime in and disagree but pellets are so easy. No measuring no spilling, just drop two or three in and you are done. Also get yourself speed loader. You may never need it but you never know. 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pyrodex-pellets

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/traditions-soft-touch-quick-loader-belt-holster

MY ML is a TC so I ended up using TC 250  Grain Shokwave
Never tried anything else since I never had a deer not go down when hit with this bullet - I only use two pellets, you can use 3, and killed deer with it up to 140 yards. With 3 pellets you will have a good 200 yard gun.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/thompson-center-superglide-shock-wave-sabot-bullets

Appreciate the feedback from all you guys.  After doing a bit of research, I'm going to go with the CVA Optima V2 with nitride coated barrel.  I have a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x scope ready and waiting to be mounted.  From what I've read, CVA seems pretty reputable and makes a solid product.  It's also priced right...less expensive than the slug gun I was looking at.  Realizing there are probably a million load options, I'm going to start with the above recommendation on TC bullets and pellets.  Pellets seem like the easy way to start for now, so I'll go that route as well.

As for primers, is there anything specific to be looking for there?  Seems like some burn hotter and ignite powders/pellets better than others.  I'd think that hotter is better here to ensure ignition, but I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking of.  

4 minutes ago, hydro psyche said:

Appreciate the feedback from all you guys.  After doing a bit of research, I'm going to go with the CVA Optima V2 with nitride coated barrel.  I have a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x scope ready and waiting to be mounted.  From what I've read, CVA seems pretty reputable and makes a solid product.  It's also priced right...less expensive than the slug gun I was looking at.  Realizing there are probably a million load options, I'm going to start with the above recommendation on TC bullets and pellets.  Pellets seem like the easy way to start for now, so I'll go that route as well.

As for primers, is there anything specific to be looking for there?  Seems like some burn hotter and ignite powders/pellets better than others.  I'd think that hotter is better here to ensure ignition, but I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking of.  

I use CCI primers and never once had a problem. Cabela’s did not have them last time I was there so I bought Remington, still no problem. I think as long as you keep your breach plug clean they will all work.

CVA is a good choice , good luck

Called my gun shop and they said they couldn’t get the Optima model I was looking for.  Am I wrong to think that’s odd, or are these in high demand?

Don’t think I’ve ever had a gun/bow dealer say they couldn’t get something I was looking for from the manufacturer, if they didn’t already have it in stock.  I didn’t have time to call others but will tomorrow.  

12 hours ago, hydro psyche said:

Called my gun shop and they said they couldn’t get the Optima model I was looking for.  Am I wrong to think that’s odd, or are these in high demand?

Don’t think I’ve ever had a gun/bow dealer say they couldn’t get something I was looking for from the manufacturer, if they didn’t already have it in stock.  I didn’t have time to call others but will tomorrow.  

When I bought my Accura V2 some years ago, they were hard to get also. I just checked Midway USA and most of their CVA's are "out of stock/no backorder". Looks like CVA is revamping their line.....or going out of business. 

I would give them a call and see what's up if you're set on a CVA. It may pay to wait. 

Edited by archer36

On 1/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, tcook8296 said:

Make sure when you make the switch to bh 209 that you dont just dump 150 grains of bh down the barrel. The bh equivelant to pyrodex pellets is much less. My gun for instance is capable of 200 gr of black powder. Im shooting around 130 gr of bh209. If you put 130 grains of bh209 in a 150 grain gun you may blow that barrel apart. 

Check it out before you shoot it. Its much more powerful

I use 72 grains of Blackhorn with a 300 grain pistol bullet and it gets the job done. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".