IGNORED

British Labs

ElevatedHunter

So I am strictly just putting some feelers out right now, but I may be in the market soon to start tracking down another bird dog. June, my GSP is 4 and she already is starting to have arthritis and a small bone spur on one of her joints. She gets pretty sore after about 1 1/2 - 2 hours of solid hunting. Currently starting to get her on Adequan for the hunting season and a joint supplement during the off season along with fish oil pills daily as per recommendation of my Vet. She also has a slight waddle in her walk due to an off conformation in her hind legs that we can see may lead to early hip problems. Anyways... I don't want to keep pushing her hard every season for the next few years and feel like I would be the cause of her not being able to get off the couch. 

I know she is doing what she loves, but to me pushing her to find state stocked birds to risk her health in the long run is just not something I am going to do. Now i'm not going to retire her anytime soon, but I would like to get another dog to have her help me train a little bit and also offset the amount of work that she needs to do. 

I feel like using her now to help me train would be a great benefit as she works phenomenally. She stays close, she holds point, shes got a great nose, sometimes slow to start and a little shakey on the retrieve, but she listens so well it feels like she is just another limb attached to my body. I barely have to say anything to her, correction wise, during the entire hunt.

Now as much as I love GSP's, definitely my all time favorite breed, I may be looking for a british lab.  I know most of them are not pointers, but I do know there are some breeders out there that have been breeding in the pointing trait. Also I know a lab is smart enough to train a point in. It may not be the best point, but it would certainly be suitable for my hunting style. Also the main reason at looking at a lab is because I want to be able to use him/her for ducks and geese as well as pheasants. I know GSP's are versatile and could do that as well, but I am leaning more towards the british lab.

So my question is, does anyone have reputable breeders that they recommend or prefer to use. I know of one off the top of my head that is very good, but I would like to know everyone's opinion. This may be something I will be looking into for litters coming for next summer or fall as I know most reputable breeders require deposits and a buyers list. 

So can anyone give me advice on british lab breeders?  Willing to travel if the breeder is reputable enough. Thanks in advanced!

Edited by ElevatedHunter

I have had many dogs and when I had my Lab (he had a  big block head and would do a semi point before he went in for the flush)  I thought they were the greatest dogs ever and then when I got my GSP I hunted him with my Lab I thought that GSP's were equally great and my next dog will be a mix of both. I am not ready for another dog but the day will come.   Good luck !

Just now, ratherbhunting said:

I have had many dogs and when I had my Lab (he had a  big block head and would do a semi point before he went in for the flush)  I thought they were the greatest dogs ever and then when I got my GSP I hunted him with my Lab I thought that GSP's were equally great and my next dog will be a mix of both. I am not ready for another dog but the day will come.   Good luck !

Thanks, I know I have such a love for GSP's, its a hard decision to go to a lab even though I know they are equally as great.

I've bought three labs from DeepRunRetrievers in Virginia over the years. Think it was a 5-hour drive. Mine were all American field type, but they have branched out to include British labs, and crosses of the two types.

DeepRun was started by Jack Jagoda … cofounder of the North American Hunting Retriever Association (NAHRA). He has retired. 

I've been  extremely happy with their pups, as have others. But, I can only vouch for their past breeding of American Field type labs … all were of proven, titled hunting stock. My 8-week old pups were already exposed to gunfire, live birds, and (weather permitting) water when I brought them home.

But, I stress that I'm unfamiliar with DeepRun now, and their British labs.

I'm curious … why do you prefer a British lab for hunting?

Good luck

PUPPIES

I have owned  British labs before and if I had the money  I would have another my lab now is more American.  There is a difference  make sure you do your home work there are a lot of breeders out there . Not nocking Gary at all he has amazing dogs.

My female lab was run with pointer as a pup and would point and back the other dogs naturally.  And on her own would flush  when the birds moved .I miss that dog. Good luck

2 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

I have owned  British labs before and if I had the money  I would have another my lab now is more American.  There is a difference  make sure you do your home work there are a lot of breeders out there . Not nocking Gary at all he has amazing dogs.

My female lab was run with pointer as a pup and would point and back the other dogs naturally.  And on her own would flush  when the birds moved .I miss that dog. Good luck

Don't get me wrong I love all Labs for sure. There are just some breeders out there that breed the American Lab so big! They breed them to have huge heads and huge shoulders. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, I just don't prefer the look of them. Now I do know some people with American Labs that are very very close in size to a British lab. I am looking for that 45-65lb range lab

Definitely still have a ton of research to do on the breeds and breeders as well. Not looking to bring home a new pup until next fall sometime so we have some time. 

12 minutes ago, Ryanm said:

British labs have a block head, usually bigger labs.

americans are smaller.

i had an American black lab, my dad said he was the best pheasant dog he ever saw work. I was lucky bought him from the Amish $300, he would point pheasants if they held I’d walk up and say go get em. Then he would flush the bird. Also a great duck dog too. Me and my ex split,she took the dog then sold him ughh. 

Some day I’ll have a hunting dog again. 

Wow, Rough end to that one. 

Yeah as the more research I have been doing the american is a little smaller and slimmer. Hopefully going to Indian Creek Kennels to see his dogs this weekend and talk to him about it.

1 hour ago, ElevatedHunter said:

… Don't get me wrong I love all Labs for sure. There are just some breeders out there that breed the American Lab so big! They breed them to have huge heads and huge shoulders ...

Maybe we're talking about two different things? It's the British labs that are more "blocky," in all ways. Field bred American labs are leaner, but their height can vary.

This was my Jane. Her build was representative of all of my labs. ...

jane3-1-1.jpg