IGNORED

Fawn hit by car

I was coming home from work this morning around 4:30 and I see a deer laying on the shoulder of the road right by the Warren County jail on 519, I look at it as I go by and see that it's a fawn and it looked like it was still alive. I turn around,go back to check on it and yup, it's still alive (damn it). I park and walk up to it to see how bad it's hurt, he tries to get up to run but I see the back legs are mangled, like they got run over by the tires. I kept him calm by petting him, he laid his head on my leg, the few people that drove by probably thought I was nuts. I called 911 to have the cops come and dispatch him. The troopers showed up about 10-15 minutes later. I felt bad because as I walked away the little guy was watching me leave, like I was letting him down..Ha. I used to carry a knife in my truck for this reason, but a local cop gave me a hard time about having one when it wasn't hunting season, so I stopped carrying it. I don't think I could've done it to this little thing anyway. It just amazes me that people hit deer and just drive away without making sure it's not suffering. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled over because a deer was still alive, either dispatched it myself or called the cops.

3 minutes ago, DBuck said:

I was coming home from work this morning around 4:30 and I see a deer laying on the shoulder of the road right by the Warren County jail on 519, I look at it as I go by and see that it's a fawn and it looked like it was still alive. I turn around,go back to check on it and yup, it's still alive (damn it). I park and walk up to it to see how bad it's hurt, he tries to get up to run but I see the back legs are mangled, like they got run over by the tires. I kept him calm by petting him, he laid his head on my leg, the few people that drove by probably thought I was nuts. I called 911 to have the cops come and dispatch him. The troopers showed up about 10-15 minutes later. I felt bad because as I walked away the little guy was watching me leave, like I was letting him down..Ha. I used to carry a knife in my truck for this reason, but a local cop gave me a hard time about having one when it wasn't hunting season, so I stopped carrying it. I don't think I could've done it to this little thing anyway. It just amazes me that people hit deer and just drive away without making sure it's not suffering. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled over because a deer was still alive, either dispatched it myself or called the cops.

Nice job getting it put out of his pain. Did you at least take it with you? EAB is only 2 months away. LOL

2 minutes ago, DBuck said:

Yea that sucks at least you stopped and had it taken care of, poor little fella could have been suffering for who knows how long if ya didnt stop.

40 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Nice job getting it put out of his pain. Did you at least take it with you? EAB is only 2 months away. LOL

You know, I actually though about taking it (not for EAB), but after bonding with him I didn't have the heart..lol

42 minutes ago, Septicdude said:

Yea that sucks at least you stopped and had it taken care of, poor little fella could have been suffering for who knows how long if ya didnt stop.

Felt bad for him. How you making out with the chicken problem? The other night I saw a fox about to cross the road by your place, I blew my horn and it ran back down through the field. I was going to text you later but it slipped my mind.

28 minutes ago, DBuck said:

You know, I actually though about taking it (not for EAB), but after bonding with him I didn't have the heart..lol

Felt bad for him. How you making out with the chicken problem? The other night I saw a fox about to cross the road by your place, I blew my horn and it ran back down through the field. I was going to text you later but it slipped my mind.

So far so good with the fox problem lately and averaging 9 eggs a day from them, trying to find time to finish they're new coop

I could not drive by any suffering animal. Years ago a doe was laying in the road with its head up but it had mangled legs. I was on my way to meet friends at a bar and I did not have anything to put it down with. I found the broken antenna off the car that hit it and that is what I used to pierce its heart to end its suffering. 

Never easy but the right thing do.