IGNORED

First Ever Deer Drive

Nice day out with the gang, congratulations

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

9 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I agree with the fun, major CONGRATS on a great day for all, been there done that. 

As for shooting shed bucks - I disagree.   The regs "used to" protect them from deer drives and shotguns. The regs "could do something about that". 

Happy for the poster and their great, legal day. (seriously - no debate here). 

I respectfully disagree with that statement, and the winter regs as they now exist. 

Don't get our panties in a bunch, I was just being polite.  If I were to express my true feelings it would've turned into the usual shit show.  

10 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I agree with the fun, major CONGRATS on a great day for all, been there done that. 

As for shooting shed bucks - I disagree.   The regs "used to" protect them from deer drives and shotguns. The regs "could do something about that". 

Happy for the poster and their great, legal day. (seriously - no debate here). 

I respectfully disagree with that statement, and the winter regs as they now exist. 

Hard to tell what you disagree with? :shock::happywave:

10 hours ago, vdep217 said:

The yelling is more for safety too know where others are... unless you can see each other silent drives can be dangerous just my opinion

If you organize the drive properly and all involve understand the plan you don't have to see or hear drivers to be safe. Of course if I got in the woods with 20 guys, some maybe under influence, and many I knew nothing about, I would scream to make sure they didn't shoot me. Let me take this back, I would not get in the woods with 20 guys to hunt. :shock::happywave:  

10 hours ago, Hunter115522 said:

I don't do drives, so excuse me if this is a dumb question...I'm curious, how did the regs used to protect shed bucks? Was deer driving at one time antlered deer only? I'm asking because I'm a 99.99% bow hunter, and don't know much about shotgun rules and regs. 

I don't think they ever did. It is antlered and antlerless, although IMO any buck shot, BB or shed, Should be a buck tag.  This change alone would make a world of difference. We kill more bucks than does and that's too many IMO.

Under certain conditions, driving is the only way to get deer effectively. As you said. it only takes a few guys to "move" the deer, not send them running for the hills. I was in one club that did not drive until the last day of the season. The club I am in now drives all the time. I do not like that. There is a lot of State Park land that you can't gun hunt and we try to move those deer on to our property. Driving is the only way. 

12 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I don't think they ever did. It is antlered and antlerless, although IMO any buck shot, BB or shed, Should be a buck tag.  This change alone would make a world of difference. We kill more bucks than does and that's too many IMO.

I kind of agree with you to an extent but if you shoot a shed thinking it's a doe and you don't have a tag then you are in trouble. The only way to reduce the killing of sheds is to end the season around the end of December. 

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I kind of agree with you to an extent but if you shoot a shed thinking it's a doe and you don't have a tag then you are in trouble. The only way to reduce the killing of sheds is to end the season around the end of December. 

I am more concerned with button bucks than sheds. They are easier to kill and way too many go down, all season long.
As to your comment "if you don't have a tag", that's the point, hunters would HAVE to be careful and know their target. I would be ok with it. (we know this will never happen)

30 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

If you organize the drive properly and all involve understand the plan you don't have to see or hear drivers to be safe. Of course if I got in the woods with 20 guys, some maybe under influence, and many I knew nothing about, I would scream to make sure they didn't shoot me. Let me take this back, I would not get in the woods with 20 guys to hunt. :shock::happywave:  

I like a little noise just to keep the drivers in line while pushing and when the drivers get close to the gunners at the end..nothing crazy though . I like driving with 4 to 6 guys much easier to keep organized

Edited by bucky

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am more concerned with button bucks than sheds. They are easier to kill and way too many go down, all season long.
As to your comment "if you don't have a tag", that's the point, hunters would HAVE to be careful and know their target. I would be ok with it. (we know this will never happen)

Well since the thread was about a deer drive that is not reasonable to expect. If you bow hunt and have time to scrutinize the deer it's a different story. If you participated in a drive, you would realize what I mean. 

Also, groups that drive are usually not "trophy" hunters so they really don't care about what they shoot. Sometimes they have to do it to satisfy the Farmer. It's about the harvest and the meat. 

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Well since the thread was about a deer drive that is not reasonable to expect. If you bow hunt and have time to scrutinize the deer it's a different story. If you participated in a drive, you would realize what I mean. 

I know, and the rule will never be implemented. However, if it happened it would eliminate late season driving as a byproduct. win-win

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I know, and the rule will never be implemented. However, if it happened it would eliminate late season driving as a byproduct. win-win

Eliminate? No. Discourage? Yes. I wonder how many illegal deer will be wasted. Let's face it, NJ is managed to reduce deer numbers. It will not change much. 

Edited by archer36