IGNORED

Tick's Tick's Tick's

I have used sentinel oral...I hate the topical stuff and I get afraid it washes off if I hunt with them to soon...I have only found 1 tick on my dogs since I started using it last year and it was dead already. Never got any blood or anything popped right off. Also use simpirica oral for my police dog....its what my department wants us to use. That works well never had any ticks and he is outside all the time, tracking and training in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I use generic frontline (petarmor plus). I find ticks on the dog but they are ether slightly attached and dead or alive. The only thing I don’t like with frontline is the only way for ticks to die is if they bite the dog. They can catch a ride then drop off in the house and never be affected if they don’t bite the dog. Also people have had issues recently with frontline not being effective and ticks having a resistance. Which is why I comb my dog, with a tick comb, every time we come back from being in the woods. But he has a very short coat so this is easy and takes me about 3min to finish. I was looking into the Soresto collars because they also repel ticks but haven’t gotten one yet. My vet and everyone I know that uses them swears by them. 

10% permethrin(petroleum base) from TSC.  Mix it 1oz to 26-28oz water in a spray bottle.  Spray clothes until wet, and let dry outside on the line.  Will last 4-6 weeks, and as many washings, before needing to be sprayed again.  Don't have to spray them as heavily after the first time.  Just do the outer clothes and boots, hats.  Washing the clothes with 1/2 cup baking soda after they dry will take care of any odor from the permethrin, but the odor isn't bad unless you mix it too strong, and it doesn't spook deer.  Haven't had a tick on me since starting to use it 3 or 4 years ago.  I sit on the ground/ walk through tall weeds.  Even wore clothes in the spring to scout, months after last spraying them, and didn't see a tick on them.

Didn't see this was for dogs.  Cut that to 1/2 oz in 28oz water and lightly spray dogs coat.  That will be the same as what is in the dog sprays like sawyers.

Edited by Greybeard

Like GreyBeard said

Go to Tractor Supply or other Feed and Pet Store and in the area where they have the sprays, etc for stables, barns, etc find Permethrin in the  .10% concentrate. 

Huge savings mixing your own.

I spray my boots and pants outdoors until they are damp then let them dry and am over in Colliers Mills year round and have not had a single tick on me but I don't get into the thick green vegetation areas when its warm. I run my GSP in the fields and woods.  On her I use Advantix II that was recommended by my vet.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Yup, permithrin is the way to go. I think I've had 1 tick on me in the past 5 years of using permithrin. And this includes shooting and field dressing a few deer that were crawling with ticks. One I shot right as the first winter cold snap was occurring. I think I stopped counting embedded ticks at 50 and there were hundreds crawling on it! I actually apologized to the butcher when I dropped it off.

Started using this permethrin 2 years ago after pulling a tick out of my chest that ended up testing positive for lymes. Thankfully I got on a 21 day cycle of doxycycline and ended up testing negative for lymes after the antibiotics. I haven’t found a single tick on me since using it. Product says it stays on the clothing up to 6 weeks or 6 washes but I re-apply it after 3 washes. 

7FEB8ADD-DDDA-4930-AD01-196D174EB5E5.png

1 hour ago, Joeybeets said:

I think the original post was for dogs not people just sayin.

Yes honey I checked the dog all over,he's good,can you check me?:rofl:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt