IGNORED

Brittanys: part two

12 hours ago, archer36 said:

That's a good sign, but a shotgun blast is a little different. 

While the dog is a pup you start with a cap gun while he is eating. 

This starts the process.

Gun introduction is a take it easy. 

The wrong thing to do is go to a parade, a range, etc..

Wolter's explains in his book. I read his book a few times and then also used the NAVHDA book.

There is a great video on youtube i think from willow kennels showing a gun shy dog in a crate and a trainer using bacon as a reward.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

9 hours ago, thefirstndsecond said:

While the dog is a pup you start with a cap gun while he is eating. 

This starts the process.

Gun introduction is a take it easy. 

The wrong thing to do is go to a parade, a range, etc..

Wolter's explains in his book. I read his book a few times and then also used the NAVHDA book.

There is a great video on youtube i think from willow kennels showing a gun shy dog in a crate and a trainer using bacon as a reward.

Thanks for the info. Quick question though. I hope it's not a stupid one but what if I brought him to a skeet range like Clinton but parked far back and kept the windows up. And I just sat there with him for half hour or so. Then he would hear the shotguns but it would be extremely muffled 

2 hours ago, GunDogs said:

No! Do not try to gun condition your dog by  making him sit in the car at Clinton... that’s a bad idea that can backfire way more than it can help. 

Where are you located? 

Neshanic station. Just to be clear I wouldn't just let him sit in there by himself lol. But anyway still won't if it's gonna be a bad idea. Just don't wanna mess anything up that's why I'm asking probably stupid questions haha. I have a couple books on order now 

No that is not gun conditioning.  But the book and join a navhda group

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Take it slow, start with general obedience commands (sit, whoa, heel). Don’t expect to hunt with your dog until fall 2019 at the earliest. Get the Gun Dog by Wolters book and the NAVHDA green book to start learning training techniques. The gun will come way later. You’ll have all spring and summer to train. Don’t rush. 

What kennels did the parents come from, just curious.  I have my 2nd Brittany and both came out of Kipp's Bay in Warwick, NY.  John Kipp is a buddy and has some amazing dogs over the years.

You're getting good advice about obedience first.  I would not hunt that pup this fall if I were you.  I started mine at 6 months and then for grouse and woodcock and quail.  Your pup won't be ready for the field and won't be where he needs to be obedience-wise.  If you read some of the great books mentioned, there will be no reason to wind up with a gun shy dog.  There are more than one ways to acclimate them to loud noises without freaking them out.  Just remember to always make early training sessions fun and short for pup.  As he gets older, you can train longer.  For now, think short and sweet and end on a high note.  

"Rusty" on point....

Rusty on point .jpg

Thanks for the info. Quick question though. I hope it's not a stupid one but what if I brought him to a skeet range like Clinton but parked far back and kept the windows up. And I just sat there with him for half hour or so. Then he would hear the shotguns but it would be extremely muffled 

Noooooooooo big mistake. While the dog is outside playing clap 2 2x4 blocks, start soft and work your way up. It doesn’t give the shock of a gunshot but gets them used to abrupt loud noises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

I know nothing about training pointers, but I've trained some very good flushers. And, I've had live pigeons for them to play with starting the day I brought them home at 8 weeks, even earlier. Reinforcing their instinct that going after a bird is the most fun thing in the world.

I guess physically attacking birds would be counterproductive to pointer training? 

Anywho …. wishing you many happy years with the new pup.

Edited by Jim_

1 hour ago, Jim_ said:

I know nothing about training pointers, but I've trained some very good flushers. And, I've had live pigeons for them to play with starting the day I brought them home at 8 weeks, even earlier. Reinforcing their instinct that going after a bird is the most fun thing in the world.

I guess physically attacking birds would be counterproductive to pointer training? 

Anywho …. wishing you many happy years with the new pup.

In a word, yes.  The idea when training a pointing breed is specifically to teach them NOT to rush in on the bird but rather to hold the point.  That's the huge difference between training a flushing breed over a pointing breed.  

12 hours ago, Kype said:

NO NO   Bad idea! Listen to what not on the rug said,sound advise!

Dont rush anything with your new pup. Make everything a game, keep it fun and short. Regarding noise introduction training I clapped my hands during fun stuff or when eating.  Nothing really loud or shocking. Lots of good advice already posted. Always remember PATIENCE and PPERSISTENCE wins the day with traing. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, Kype said:

Will do guys. I'm taking everyone's advise here, trust me. The last thing I wanna do is mess this up. Thank you for everyone who commented. I'm glad I asked for help. 

Kype -

There is a field trial at the English Setter club in Medford, NJ  Sept. 22 & 23.  It is sponsored by the Eastern German Shorthair Club and will have several different breeds of dogs competing.  All the stakes are walking.   Two weekends later Sept. 28, 29 &30 there will be another field trial, this one sponsored by the Del Val Brittany Club.  There will be all breeds there as well, but a large portion of the entries will be Brittanys.   This is a horseback trial but there will be one walking stake.

I encourage you to go there and see some of these dogs perform.  you will get a good idea of just what a good bird dog is capable of and you might just make a connection or two with regard to training yourself so you can train your dog.    As far as that is concerned, the Setter Club is quite probably the finest bird dog training facility  in the northeast. and some of the folks there are absolutely top notch trainers.  

My personal favorite training book is Paul Long's book "Training Pointing Dogs".  I also really like  "Training with Mo" by Martha Greenlee.  Both of these are a wealth of bird dog training knowledge and both are easy reads and very straightforward.  There is another book, "Favorite Training Methods" by Mark Payton which describes a number of training techniques in detail. It is not a training program per se,  but rather a detailed description  of several very useful training techniques.  A really great book and method (IMO) is "The Burnt Creek Method" by Jim Marti, but unfortunately that one is out of print and near impossible to find.

I strongly recommend that you get several books and read through them.  Then after you have read them, PICK ONE that you want to follow and put the others  aside, for now.   Pick the method that seems to work best for your personality and the one that you are most comfortable with. and follow the progression, step by step.   Training a bird dog is NOT rocket science, but it does require patience and does require time for you to actually do the training, pretty much every single day.

There are literally dozens of bird dog training books and videos and DVD's.   Most all of them will get the job done and  in each of the books, there will be tips, techniques and insights that  will help you become a better trainer.  No one method is perfect for every dog or every trainer but every method in print has worked for that trainer  and probably several hundred dogs which that trainer has developed.

You have lots of time, but don't waste it.   Educate yourself first and get comfortable with what it is you will have to do to get the dog to the training level you need.  

Brittanys are neat dogs.  The ones I knew had great attitudes and were fun to be around.    Enjoy.

RayG

PS - I screwed up the date of the Eastern GSP trial.  I corrected it above.  it is the Sept 223 & 23 weekend. 

FWIW - I will be at both trials  and would make myself available so that you don't feel like you are in the middle of a Chinese fire drill all by yourself. 

Edited by birddogger