IGNORED

Brittanys: part two

I will be picking up my first brittany on sept 22. he will be 8 weeks old at that time and ready to bring home. 

here is Caponeimage.jpg.fd7bfdc239ec2c8306683e533715b844.jpg

Mother is a AKC dual champion and the father is National field champion and AKC dual champion. any suggestions or thoughts on how to start training? should i introduce him to pheasant scent right away? or do you typically wait until a certain age? any suggestions is greatly appreciated. i have been watching a ton of videos. but want to hear from guys here who have brittanys and hunt with them year in and year out. 

anyone wanna meet up so Capone can respond to other older brittanys? 

should i take him out this pheasant season?

home training?  

finale question would be when do i start training him not to be scared of shotguns? 

i grew up with golden retrievers but none of them hunted. and nor did i ever train them. this will be the first dog i train for hunting and to make a great companion at home. 

Brittanys are more of a pointer than a flusher.

Understand, but being a spaniel the breed shares common training traits and challenges. 90% of James Spencers book deals with obedience training. His techniques are second to none and utilizes voice and whistle commands which are so important afield, especially with other dogs, humans and the distraction they cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

Pick up the hard cover book "Gun Dog" by Richard Wolters.  Old school, old book, however, Capone will thank you for it.  I bought it 30 years ago when I got my first Brittany and my daughter picked it up 2 months ago for her Lab/GSP mix.  5 months yesterday and she's well behaved, listens very well and loves to retrieve.

As far as testing for gun shyness, DO NOT ever shoot a gun over the dog unless it is on point. It will associate the shot with the point. Doing it any other way will just surprise him. If he is "naturally" gun shy it won't matter. If he isn't why take a chance on making him. 

So what helped me with my first hunting dog who is also a britt was wolters gun dog book.

Also joined NAVHDA which was the best decision I ever made.

The book will take you places but experienced people will bring you to a finished dog.

Remember through all of this the cheapest thing was the dog.

I can't wait to get my next pup.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

As far as testing for gun shyness, DO NOT ever shoot a gun over the dog unless it is on point. It will associate the shot with the point. Doing it any other way will just surprise him. If he is "naturally" gun shy it won't matter. If he isn't why take a chance on making him. 

So I used a cap gun while he ate. He ignored the cap gun and ate his food and didn't even flinch.

There are many ways to work through things.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford