IGNORED

Wild Quail !

7 hours ago, Bones said:

Only 80 released, Dog owners release more then that training their dogs in the off season.

Yes but dog owners release farm raised birds. these appear to be wild with a better chance of survival

A Waste I think ...cart before horse 

focus on habitat restoration first. I mean REALLY FOCUS on than ...Treating for invasive plants. Proper controlled burning to restore and increase native under growth. Restablishing native food sources along with cultivating self sustaining new ones.....plus a healthy predator control strategy. Once you have established that for 5+ years and have an effective and proven management strategy in place for the continuation of procured habit, then begin a reintroduction program.  They cannot hope sustain on loblolly pine seeds and a minimal about of suitable habit alone. 

They should also be worried about southern states as well. I believe  A steady decline of about 3% anually for the last 40 years. 

1 hour ago, Silver Belly62 said:

Use to come across a lot of quail in certain areas when running hounds, but haven't seen any for many years. However the past 3-5 years I've seen a increase in woodcock 

There used to be a tremendous amount quail back in the 60s and 70s back in the pines and blueberry fields. I used to take my trusty single shoot Topper 410 and rack up a few along the sand trails and blueberry rows. The farms used to have grass and multiple cover weeds for the coveys to run and hide.  Clean farming with weed killer destroyed prime habitat. Back in the day, you could hunt quail in our area without a pup. 

2 hours ago, Swampy said:

A Waste I think ...cart before horse 

focus on habitat restoration first. I mean REALLY FOCUS on than ...Treating for invasive plants. Proper controlled burning to restore and increase native under growth. Restablishing native food sources along with cultivating self sustaining new ones.....plus a healthy predator control strategy. Once you have established that for 5+ years and have an effective and proven management strategy in place for the continuation of procured habit, then begin a reintroduction program.  They cannot hope sustain on loblolly pine seeds and a minimal about of suitable habit alone. 

They should also be worried about southern states as well. I believe  A steady decline of about 3% anually for the last 40 years. 

The Habitat in the release area has been extensively developed for years. The missing ingredient was using WILD birds instead of pen raised birds.

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting