IGNORED

I found an old longspring trap

I was out with a client (a local watershed organization) and two federal agencies on the Lamington River today regarding an obsolete dam removal and floodplain reconnection restoration, and we found a # 1 long spring "stop loss" model if memory is still good.  It was a cool find considering how many years they've been outlawed in the People's Republic of NJ.  

IMG_0657.JPG

You assume it has been out there since the 80s. :) Would not surprise me if folks were using them even long after the ban (if not even now). How many  trappers had tons of $$$ invested in those things only to be told "throw them away, you can't use them anymore" - I'm assuming a few "did not comply". :ninja:

49 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

You assume it has been out there since the 80s. :) Would not surprise me if folks were using them even long after the ban (if not even now). How many  trappers had tons of $$$ invested in those things only to be told "throw them away, you can't use them anymore" - I'm assuming a few "did not comply". :ninja:

I'm sure several did.  I think the ban happened after I was either in college or out and living out West at the time.  This one's chain was rusted through in a couple places and it had been buried in the mud for some time.  But they made a great mink and muskrat trap as I clearly remember, especially with that stop loss loop.     

Awesome find

About 15 years ago,while turkey hunting, I found a number 2 Victor coil spring  grown into a crotch in a tree on property that my father used to trap. Its chain was rusted off and couldn't find a tag but I know it was one of my father's traps from many years ago. Probably from a spring hole set he use to make in a near by spring seep.

I left it there.