IGNORED

To shoot or not to shoot

Live to Hunt

14 hours ago, DBuck said:

I just looked and there's nothing about it. Anyone that would shoot a bird out of a tree don't understand what turkey hunting is all about, they don't want to hunt them, they just want to kill one. 

Sounds like New Jersey deer season

www.liftxrentals.com

Me never, had many chances and some great birds.  Moral ethics is doing what is right when no one is around and what is legal in your area. To many people  what to criticize others because a animal wasn't taken because it wasn't taken their way.

I could never hunt a turkey by just knowing where they come out to a field and waiting quietly and ambushing, or calling one time get a gobble and sit quietly....I need and crave the talking back and forth, hearing the gobbler respond to me...making him come to me. 

With that said I'd never be critical if someone took one by just waiting at a ambush point, to each their own!

The hunt should be between you and the animal,  not about numbers, bragging or measuring up to someone or something.  if it is legal and the hunt turned you on congrats!  

Vice President Piedmont Chapter NWTF, Christian Bowhunter, NRA,  EX resident of Communist Jersey

For me the excitement of calling the bird in is everything.

if a bird isn't putting on the show it just isn't the same.

Many mature birds that have been worked hard  come in silent.

I hate those birds, and many times watch them walk away.

I like that gobbling strutting fool  , that sounds like his gobbles are going to knock the trees down coming in 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, DBuck said:

And then there's guys like this, they just don't get it. 

whats not to get ? i don't consider killing something a sport to me and the way i was brought up it has zero to do with long beard big racks its about population control feeding my family and making a quick clean kill. if i kill a trophy in the process thats great , what is a better way for  a quick clean kill a bird on a branch 20 yards away  or one called in 20 yards away and moving? some of you seem to think your way is the only way.... maybe its guys that think like you who just may not get it...  

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, buckhound said:

whats not to get ? i don't consider killing something a sport to me and the way i was brought up it has zero to do with long beard big racks its about population control feeding my family and making a quick clean kill. if i kill a trophy in the process thats great , what is a better way for  a quick clean kill a bird on a branch 20 yards away  or one called in 20 yards away and moving? some of you seem to think your way is the only way.... maybe its guys that think like you who just may not get it...  

What's not to get?  That question right there tells me that you don't get what turkey hunting is all about. If we lived in a time where you had to hunt to "feed your family" I might agree with you, but we don't and I highly doubt that you do..  I don't think my way is the only way, but turkey hunting is about the hunt, not the kill, at least it is to true turkey hunters. I don't say anything when someone shoots a Jake or a small buck, even though I prefer not to do it, but it is what it is, whatever makes them happy.  If I'm calling for someone and it's their first time then I let them shoot a Jake, but after that I tell them that I'd prefer that they didn't shoot another one if I'm calling. However, if they do I don't get pissed at them, I just bust their balls about it for a long time. If anyone I'm hunting with ever shot one out of the tree they would never hunt with me again. But I know that I don't have to worry about it, because everyone I hunt with have ethics and morals. 

Turkey hunting to me is all in the calling in of the bird.He's talking to you and your talking back. He's coming closer,will he hang up,no he's still coming,there he is,SHOOT! Its great! Its a hunt,not a kill!

Edited by Dinger

Few years ago was sitting in my spot for a couple of hours and had some gobbling out in front of me.  I later looked up and a little behind me and a nice tom was still roosted or too scared to fly down at that point.  Bird never made a noise up there watching.  He was there for a while and must of learned some good intel on me.  He had a nice beard from what I could tell.  Never crossed my mind to shoot him out of the tree like that.  He eventually flew down and far enough away. 

Edited by Yobuck293

"think how dumb the average person is, then remember half of them are dumber than that"

It's quite a thrilling hunt actually.  First you have to roost your bird.  It takes a lot of scouting, skill and some luck to find the exact tree the bird will be in. Then once you have roosted your bird, you will sleep little that night in excited anticipation of the hunt.  You will have to get up darn early, and then very quietly sneak to the tree in total darkness, which can be quite  a feat.   As it slowly gets light the flood of excitement will  overcome you as you look up into the tree and see your bird up there totally unaware of your stealthy approach.  A feeling of great satisfaction will overcome you as you line up the sights on your bird.  Now make just one cluck and when he looks down and you see the terror in his eye, give it to him!   Nothing quite like the sound of a 25 pound bird hitting the ground from 60 feet up.  Even though you have heard it many times it never gets old!!

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

It's quite a thrilling hunt actually.  First you have to roost your bird.  It takes a lot of scouting, skill and some luck to find the exact tree the bird will be in. Then once you have roosted your bird, you will sleep little that night in excited anticipation of the hunt.  You will have to get up darn early, and then very quietly sneak to the tree in total darkness, which can be quite  a feat.   As it slowly gets light the flood of excitement will  overcome you as you look up into the tree and see your bird up there totally unaware of your stealthy approach.  A feeling of great satisfaction will overcome you as you line up the sights on your bird.  Now make just one cluck and when he looks down and you see the terror in his eye, give it to him!   Nothing quite like the sound of a 25 pound bird hitting the ground from 60 feet up.  Even though you have heard it many times it never gets old!!

Yea ok