IGNORED

To shoot or not to shoot

Live to Hunt

1 minute ago, Batsto said:

Let's say it is 10 am in the morning, you call a turkey in and it flies it into a tree above your setup. Do you sit and wait or shoot it? I am thinking he is fair game. 

You make a good point I say do whatever your heart desires 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, Batsto said:

A little off topic, but has anyone had a Turkey fly from another area / field into a tree where you have set up and have  been calling? 

Yes. I've also seen a turkey jump up on a horizontal tree trunk that was down & look around.  I wouldn't shoot one off the roost but will admit that's how I got my first turkey.  I was partridge hunting , nys, about 40 yes ago

Edited by gregtpal

If it's legal, have at it. For me, it just wouldn't be enjoyable to walk into the woods at 6am and shoot a turkey that hasn't got out of bed yet. I want to outsmart them. The enjoyment and excitement to me is being able to trick an animal in his own habitat and watch him slowly come in and get close enough to take him. I can't get enough of that gobble sound  - when it gets closer and closer and closer and then all of a sudden you catch a glimpse of that red head walking to you. And when I'm lucky enough to see them strut right in front of me???!!! Man, I love turkey hunting! Getting excited just typing :) Shooting a turkey still sitting on his early morning roost and missing all that? Meh. Just doesn't do it for me.

6 hours ago, buckhound said:

never run into that problem but if i do i will let you know ...but would he be any more dead one way or the other?i also don't consider hunting a sport more a hobby that allows me to feed my family and control populations at the same time. if its legal does it matter?

And then there's guys like this, they just don't get it. 

A friend and his wife planned to go to Mexico for Ocellated turkey to complete their slam.  They put a lot of time into researching different outfitters and talking with NWTF members and others that had hunted down there with different guides.  Even though he was expensive they went with the one that had the best reputation and reviews from hunters.

When they got down there the guide took them out in the dark and after walking a bit he points up into a tree and says, "there's your turkeys, shoot them".  My buddy says, "what about waiting until light and then calling them in"?   The guide looked very confused and says, "why would you do that"?   :rofl::rofl: