IGNORED

what does everyone do for gun cleaning?

just wondering, looking to get something new ,right now i have an old rod thats broke (stuff my dad gave me when i started hunting)  and isn't tight and bends at the joints when put together probably a couple of different kits put together and some old brushes and stuff thats seen better days  some cheap stuff from walmart i put together over years  it works ok but thinking i may get better results getting something new... thinking of the Otis  ultimate gun cleaning kit or getting a  box and buying good quality stuff as need to make my own kit... Any Thoughts on what works for you?  thanks

I wish I could help you but I have a collection of 100s of pieces from different sources and somehow I make it work.

The only change I made over the years was the cleaner. I no longer use any solvents. I now use a vegetable oil based product 

I learned the hard way using cleaning solvents. I had gotten some on my camo stock and a wooden stock and the solvent damaged both of them. So, I stopped using them.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

i have been able to keep my guns clean with what i have but being old i don't know if the rod has many cleanings left i figure its time to upgrade either with a complete kit or build my own kit...   an older gentelman gave me something he used in the military he had a lot of it and gave me a bottle to use worked great wish i new what it was it didn't didn't slow the action on my 1100 like other oils i have used when it was real cold...

When in the Army, we used BreakFree and worked well. I then moved to good ol' Hoppes 9. Problem with that is (and IIRC BreakFree was the same) it stinks - very smelly - and I can't clean the guns in the house without the family cursing me out. I've since moved to what Lunatic posted -  Gunzilla. Not nearly as smelly as Hoppes 9 Powder Solvent but seems to work just as well. I don't let any of the guns I own go past a couple dozen shots without cleaning them (unless a single range session and I shoot, say, 100 rounds - but I'm cleaning it when I get home), so I don't worry about whether the cleaner or lub can last hundreds or thousands of rounds.

As for cleaning rods, I broke mine recently, too (it was a cheap-o brand, very flimsy) so I recently purchased a nice brass three-piece rod. Very sturdy and the pieces thread tight together (no wobbles). When looking for a new rod, don't cheap out - think about getting a nice sturdy brass one.

I would say, buy piecemeal rather than one of those expensive kits (some might come with parts you don't even need - say, cleaning tips for calibers you don't own) - that way you can pick and choose what you want and go for better quality. I, actually, did buy that smaller Remington cleaning kit a few years ago - I ended up selling the brushes and things that I don't use and for unused calibers on Ebay :) The cleaning cables it comes with is nice, though - I kept those.