IGNORED

Scotch/Scotch Blend Recommendations?

BowhunterNJ

So Saturday is a 40th birthday dinner for a good friend of mine, he likes his scotch and scotch blends. Wanted to get him something different but still similar to what he prefers, but I know very little about scotch. I can only tell you what he tends to like which are Glenfiddich, Glen Livet, Glenmorangie, and Johnnie Walker.Any time there is a party (holidays, birthdays, etc)...someone brings a JW Blue Label and it's gone in short order.I could get him something like a 12/15/18 yr old of the above scotches too to play it safe, but figured I'd ask if anyone here is into scotch.Any recommendations?Price I'd like to hang in the $200 and under crowd, but he's a good friend, so I'd splurge another $100 if it was worth the stretch :)

If that's what he drinks, I'd stay away from the peaty scotches like Laguvilin and Laphroag, completely different than the smoother ones you listed. Any of the Balvenie, Macallan or Glenmorangie are good easy drinking scotches. Oban is another good one but less popular.

I'd go for the Balvenie in Portwood, I think they make an 18 year and 21 year.

Edited by MikeStaten

Blue label does nothing special for me, never had green label, for the price black label is just as good. Special for me is Balvenie 12 doublewood, but I'm content with Glenlevet as a daily drink. Had a taste of Orban15 I think at Christmas and it was as smooth and good as I would want, but at $100 a bottle, I'll wait for someone to think I'm that special.

Since he likes trying different kinds I'd get a couple of those Japanese brands. I personally haven't had them but have heard good things.

Scotch is definitely an acquired taste. My father drank it so I drank it. Over time I've stayed towards whiskey's and Bourbons. Specifically wheat whiskey's.

Currently my favorite whiskey is bernheim and my favorite bourbon for the price is the 4 Rose's small batch. Probably the best thing out there under 40$.

Nick

You ran the table of fantastic Scotch.

Looking at the menu paired with Scotch...I believe you and the Mrs. had a great time.

Happy Anniversary. :up:

That dinner was from last night with my father in law in East Orange :). The distillery trip is in early summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not much of a scotch connoisseur(I think I spelled that right??), but I do like Glenmorangie, the original version.  I have tried a bunch and do not like the heavy peaty ones like Royal salute or Laphroaig. 

Dewars white label or Ballantines(especially if you can find the 12 Yr. old) are very drinkable blends that won't break the bank, as is Famous Grouse.

I tried a couple that were aged in sherry casks and they were nice also.  they were in the $50 ballpark.  

A friend did me a service and I gave him a bottle of The Macallan .  He drinks the 18 yr. old which is right near where your price point is.

However, if you want to try something a bit different, there is a Remy Martin XO  cognac, for about $150 which is out of this world.  

A pony in a snifter and  I will inhale it until it evaporates with a tiny sip every so often.  Soooo smooth....sooooo deliciously fragrant. 

RayG

If that's what he drinks, I'd stay away from the peaty scotches like Laguvilin and Laphroag, completely different than the smoother ones you listed. Any of the Balvenie, Macallan or Glenmorangie are good easy drinking scotches. Oban is another good one but less popular.

I'd go for the Balvenie in Portwood, I think they make an 18 year and 21 year.

Booze is weird stuff. To me, "smooth" scotches like that taste like turpentine, while the smoky, peaty Islay scotches are deep and rich and layered with flavor.

Totally subjective obviously. Just wanted to point out how different everyone's tastes can be.