IGNORED

Scotch/Scotch Blend Recommendations?

BowhunterNJ

Would be cool if I could get him a basket of samplers like Jerzguy2 said. A bunch of different ones he could try and see what else he likes without getting a whole bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy him $200 worth of airplane bottles. Handy to have in your pocket for various occasions.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Anything from the Isle of Islay is a good choice.  This is like picking a bride out for your friend though.  To each his own.  I have had a taste of most everything mentioned here.  My favorites are all between 50-100.  Had some of the higher priced ones that were just like drinking fire.  Not to my taste at all.

Edited by Bigsquirel

So Saturday is a 40th birthday dinner for a good friend of mine, he likes his scotch and scotch blends. 

Wanted to get him something different but still similar to what he prefers, but I know very little about scotch. 

I can only tell you what he tends to like which are Glenfiddich, Glen Livet, Glenmorangie, and Johnnie Walker.

Any time there is a party (holidays, birthdays, etc)...someone brings a JW Blue Label and it's gone in short order.

I could get him something like a 12/15/18 yr old of the above scotches too to play it safe, but figured I'd ask if anyone here is into scotch.

Any recommendations?

Price I'd like to hang in the $200 and under crowd, but he's a good friend, so I'd splurge another $100 if it was worth the stretch :)

What did you decide?

Johnnie blue is ehhhh for the money, buy DblBlack

Real scotch, Jura, Oban, any Balvenie, Dalmore,Auchentoshan, Talisker, Lagavulin, and my new fav is Bruichladdich (brook laddie) if you can find black arts, it is about 250$ but the most amazing scotch I have tasted to date.

Blends...not my thing

OH and Aberlour is also great

Edited by Chefhunter

Would be cool if I could get him a basket of samplers like Jerzguy2 said. A bunch of different ones he could try and see what else he likes without getting a whole bottle.

Here you go.. Just get a bunch and put together a sampler basket. Or if he fishes get a tackle box and fill it up with the sample bottles

https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whisky-samples/scotch/

I will be starting a thread on the addition and probably will have a game dinner once it is opened up as long as I fill my Elk tag later this year.

Sweet! That sounds awesome!