IGNORED

ICE?

I saw two small lakes along Berkshire Valley Road in Jefferson that are out of both the wind and sun most times, and they were less than 1/3 covered with ice and the ice was only a skim coat.  I was bird hunting in a swamp yesterday with TroutandBucks, and that ice which is first to freeze being protected by grass hummocks was only 1 1/2" thick to 2" at most.  It broke under my feet, but I didn't break through often.  So we're still a few real cold days away at best.  I think I heard 50s and rain early next week.

That said, I just was given a fairly new ice auger (hand crank with sharp blades still), 5 tip ups, and even a working FIshing Buddy II fish finder.  A good buddy is moving and recently got remarried and is downsizing, so I was the lucky recipient of some ice fishing gear.  And I already have some other gear including jigging rods and bait buckets with aerators, so I'm watching the ice locally which is western Morris very close to both Sussex and Warren counties in the same town as Budd Lake.     

I stayed at Cranberry lake last night - entire lake is frozen over.  I don't think it's a spot burn - you can see guys fishing right off 206...    I guess part of it is "safe" although I like a little more time before i venture out...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

• 2 weeks later...

We never get fishable ice down here, but I did just check the weather and theres a warm up coming.  I wouldn't be fishing on ice unless I knew it was four foot thick

NEVER I fished the Collins CovePort Republic thru the Ice Many Years and Times for White Perch filling Buckets using Grass Shrimp and baby Killies. 

OH YEA wait That was the 60s Even back then it was on the dangerous side when the sun would soften up the ice or the gap between the Ice and shore High tide we had a 10ft john boat we dragged out on the ice that saved many a fisherman.  

Funny Part was west of the Parkway NON Residents needed a fishing Licence we did not  :headscratch:  anyone fish there on the ice ???

Spring Lake Deal lake has skim ice maybe Ice Boats on the Navesink soon

Weather Channel has this cold spell for next 7 days single and Teens.

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

what do you think the thickness is up north? I'm thinking next saturday will be super safe

Hope to get out somewhere tomorrow and will let you know... I would guess based on years of experience and the weather this past week, should be 4-6" on most lakes...  Use caution on ALL, and once those big lakes freeze over completely they thicken up real fast in this weather but you need to test test test as you venture further out. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Hope to get out somewhere tomorrow and will let you know... I would guess based on years of experience and the weather this past week, should be 4-6" on most lakes...  Use caution on ALL, and once those big lakes freeze over completely they thicken up real fast in this weather but you need to test test test as you venture further out. 

sounds good, might get out the 1st or 2nd if i get a doe this weekend and the ice is at least 6 lol