IGNORED

Z5 morning hunt in the Hemlocks & Oaks = BBD

JHbowhunter

How far was the shot?

about 7-8 yards, almost too close for 20' stand.   He had no clue I was there - love being in a big hemlock or cedar tree. Don't have too many setups like that. I hung that stand with my buddy back in 2006, and just figured someday it would pay off. I just inspected it with Jay two weeks ago - and he gets all the credit for me even going there because he is the one that found the big rub and the white acorns 40 yards away. It's been on my mind, was just waiting for the first cool day to sit that ridge...   Thanks Jay!   When I first saw him, I wasn't overly motivated to pick up bow he looked like a typical 2.5 or 3.5 year old 110-115" 8pt, but when I put the binos on him and saw the bases, the blood started pumping and I got the rush...    Why is that?

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Well done all the way around Jack. No camera or knowledge he was there other than the rub. Good "old fashioned" hunting in the oaks which is how we all used to do it before getting caught up in all of the hype and pressure of the season!

The live hunt was very cool even reading it afterwards like I did. Great pics, narration and shot!  Not an easy thing to do on stand... That buck is a gorgeous Sussex County deer which brings it back to what you wrote about hunting close to home...............NJ definitely has good attributes and quality hunting.

Congrats on your early season buck! (Nice assist by Jay with the rub info and drag out also.)

Best hunt of the season on Woods & Water so far in my opinion................. This is what this site is about. :up:  :up: