IGNORED

Crossfit - Experiences and Opinions

Haskell_Hunter

I have several goals.

1. I know my diet is the worst in the world, that needs to be fixed.
  2. I am sedentary 25 hours of the day.  All of my work is done in front of a computer.  This is killing me, and I feel the decline every year.
  3. I work way too much and am getting rid of some of my clients now.  I am coming to the realization that I am probably working myself to death.
  4. I am getting all of the classic mid-40s health issues.  All more than likely due to #1 and #2.  It's reversible, and that's what I'm trying to do.
  5. I have a really nice walking treadmill that I was using at home, and will probably start using it again.  But it's somewhat inconvenient to move it out and get it into place.  Lame excuse, but it's the excuses that need to be fought and defeated.

I have no space in my house to introduce workout equipment or the like, so I need to do external activities.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I never did a cross fit routine. When I was younger, I play basketball 2 times a week, hit the iron 3 times week and run on days I didn't play ball. Now in my 60s, it's still basically the same. No basketball, but ride my bike or do eliptical machine. All excercise routines are good. It's all about consistency and not doing stuff that over kills a specific body part.

I'd be happy to work on your diet with you HH.  I know we had talked about that in the past. 

As for the activity...walking is good.  hiking is good.  biking is good.  yoga.  adult sports leagues.  boxing or martial arts.  Like I said earlier, I always highly recommend true weight training.  Not dicking around with 15lb dumbells, but learning and mastering the big lifts.  You're never too old, too sick or too overweight to start.  1hr of weight training, 3x per week is all it takes to literally change your life

The hardest part is getting out the door.  I'm 49 and was going thru the same type of health issues.  It doesn't matter what you do, it matters that you do something.  Each day you get a little better - stronger and more fit than the day before.  Nothing is easy, and it takes effort.  Just get the first step out the door.  

You can't shoot them from the couch.

I have several goals.

1. I know my diet is the worst in the world, that needs to be fixed.
  2. I am sedentary 25 hours of the day.  All of my work is done in front of a computer.  This is killing me, and I feel the decline every year.
  3. I work way too much and am getting rid of some of my clients now.  I am coming to the realization that I am probably working myself to death.
  4. I am getting all of the classic mid-40s health issues.  All more than likely due to #1 and #2.  It's reversible, and that's what I'm trying to do.
  5. I have a really nice walking treadmill that I was using at home, and will probably start using it again.  But it's somewhat inconvenient to move it out and get it into place.  Lame excuse, but it's the excuses that need to be fought and defeated.

I have no space in my house to introduce workout equipment or the like, so I need to do external activities.

Yep, I feel I'm headed down this path too.  Time to get back on track and in a more active lifestyle to offset sitting behind a computer for most of the day.

I've lost 25 pounds doing Krav Maga.  A lot of fun, intense, and you get to kick people in the nuts.  Knife defense, guns, car jacking.  Blue Titan Fitness and Self Defense in Rockaway.  Join me tomorrow at 7am.  

i try to avoid anything or anyone that uses words like kick and nuts in the same sentence  :eek:  :eek:  and if you didn't  have a gun I may even call you disturbed   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Very, very few people stay with any exercise routine. You need to find something that makes you get up and do it. Use your competitive nature to push you. The best way is to find a sport you like, then join some kind of league. When you compete it does not even feel like working out and you can't get enough. Also, competition will make you work harder than you could ever push yourself on your own. The next best thing is to have a plan of changing things constantly. Change makes you excited and it eliminate boredom that stops so many people from going on. So maybe go with your crossfit but have a plan of what to do next because I promise you the crossfit will not last long.

40s into mid 50s are very important in your life. If you eff it now and let yourself go, ending up with a number of health issues, it maybe very difficult or impossible to overcome it in your 50s.

Edited by Lunatic

Yep, I feel I'm headed down this path too.  Time to get back on track and in a more active lifestyle to offset sitting behind a computer for most of the day.

I am calling this new health crisis:  Nerdcrosis

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I really need to right this ship.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Bowhunter beat me to it.  Crossfit is basically just a fancy (and expensive) way for people to get together and do HIIT workouts.  You can most certainly do that on your own.  

My biggest contention with CF is that the entire concept of their program is based on timing or max repping particular lifts that are not intended to be done that way.  Like Bowhunter stated, this causes sloppy technique and will ALWAYS lead to injury.  

If you want to train with weights (which I'd highly recommend) and you like professional atmosphere, find yourself a decent powerlifting gym and join.  You'll learn how to do the big lifts, with proper form and in a controlled setting. You won't get this kind of training from any kind of "personal trainer"  :rofl: at a box gym.  They'll tell you dumb stuff like "don't squat, it's bad for your knees" or "don't deadlift, it's bad for your back."  

Since you are an intellectual, I'd recommend the latest edition of "Starting Strength"  read it cover to cover, then read it again and get in the gym.  One of my good buddies is a Starting Strength coach and they even do online coaching nowadays.  

If you need any help or advice with this stuff, PM or email me and I'll get you started.  

Weight training is less ad less important as you move on in age. Cardio, cardio and cardio is the name of the game.

Crossfit is awesome. Never signed up for any classes though. I have always done crossfit on my own. I usually start with a 3 mile jog to get warmed up. I got a tractor tire from the local tire shop. I flip that about 75 hards up and down my driveway. I also have a box jump that I super set the tire flips with. I have one of the heavy weighted ropes that works great as well. I also use a big sledge hammer to hit the tire with. I have a big yard that I am able to do it in. I have only done it several times this summer though. I have been pretty busy at work lately. I definitely need to shed some pounds as well. Most importantly, i need to change my diet.

Follow Us On Instagram @bruiserbucksoutdoors

Weight training is less ad less important as you move on in age. Cardio, cardio and cardio is the name of the game.

patently false.  this is the mentality that puts old people in nursing homes bc they can't get off the toilet by themselves anymore.

real weight training is the single most important thing you can do at any age.  it provides it's own cardiovascular benefits, without the need to pound away the miles.  it builds muscle.  it strengthens connective tissues. it increases bone density.  all of which decline with age.