IGNORED

7/21/17 - 2017-2018 Deer Regulation Sets

I want the buck tags to carry over from extended bow to muzzy to doe days if not used.  Buying seperate ones for each season is a lot of $$

This will never happen - just like how politicians will never reduce fees or taxes, once a permit or license is enacted, it will never be eliminated because that means less $$ to the state. The whole rifle permit thing is a joke, too.

Edited by mazzgolf

I want the buck tags to carry over from extended bow to muzzy to doe days if not used.  Buying seperate ones for each season is a lot of $$

the concept is simple and I discussed with a biologist yesterday. Two FLEXIBLE buck tags per hunter, per year/season. Use them in any season, any weapon you choose. It does not matter in terms of wildlife management when and how you shoot your two bucks, it only matters that they are reported accurately.  Although statistically a small percent shoot more than 2, there still is a percentage of hunters that shoot 3 or more. 

By having two tags to carry over from season to permit season to season to permit season, it will change behavior. Long gone will be the late October "gotta burn my buck tag" mentality, when young bucks are at their absolute dumbest and many shoot a buck the last week of October they would not have shot prior. 

The longer term affects of this are immeasurable but beneficial. Also - the convenience and flexibility to the actual license and permit paying hunter, by putting the personal choice completely in their control without the added pressure of a buck tag expiring..

I say all that and realize, that come the last week of "all seasons" there will still be some, that will once again adopt that "gotta burn my tag" mentality, but by that time bucks will be well educated, as well as many already killed and thinned down - so it won't be as easy. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

If the link HH saved will end up being the final regs, the interesting part I noticed for zones 2 and 5 where I hunt, were that z2 has a 5 antlerless per bow season and z5 has a 9 antlerless limit per bow season.  (still means you could shoot 18 doe between fall bow and permit bow for z5, for example - so what's the point?). To appease those of us that thought "unlimited" was just too liberal, so they replaced that word with a number that may as well still be "unlimited". 

In these two zones, EAB remains and there is a November 2 day muzzy season for bucks. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Hmmm.  I wonder what the next set they publish will have!  This is a fun game they are playing.  Keeps you guessing......  

These morons not only can't manage the deer herd, they can't even publish their own info properly :down:  :shakehead:

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

to appease those of us that thought "unlimited" was just too liberal, so they replaced that word with a number that may as well still be "unlimited". 

That was my thinking. We talked about this before, too - yeah, 9 isn't "unlimited" but who shoots 10 does a season? I'm sure there are some, but for all practical purposes, it's still "unlimited" for most people. The guy that wants to shoot one doe a weekend can still do it all through fall and winter. 9 (or 5 even) is just meaningless. If you are going to limit it, do it to 1 or 2, not 5 or 9!

I don't see how that can appease anyone, and I can't believe DFW actually thinks it does appease anyone. Enough of the phoniness - just say its unlimited and be done if that's what they are trying to do. If they are going to impose a limit, impose a real limit, not a fake one.

I'm hoping sometime in the near future they do away with unlimited doe in zones 5, 7 and 8. Maybe that would cut down on all the "if it's brown it's down" Pennsyltards that invades and tries to take over our public lands every year.

Just got a email from Fish & Game:

The Regulation Sets announced earlier today for the upcoming deer season have been removed from the NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife website due to there being some inaccuracies.  The final version of the Regulation Sets will be posted early next week and a message notifying you of the posting will be sent. We apologize for any confusion and inconvenience.

Just got a email from Fish & Game:

The Regulation Sets announced earlier today for the upcoming deer season have been removed from the NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife website due to there being some inaccuracies.  The final version of the Regulation Sets will be posted early next week and a message notifying you of the posting will be sent. We apologize for any confusion and inconvenience.

You just beat me to it...stop the presses, the Division has screwed the pooch again.