IGNORED

Youth day - double beard down....

Swamprat

Thank God for a ground blind. Rained pretty heavy this morning. Had an idea where the birds were. As expected birds were quiet and wet. Heard one lone gobble @ 630. They are usually hammering by 550. After a few yelps a hen comes out. Opposite of her came 4 hens with a gobbler in tow. Hens came right in to 10-15 yards. Big boy hung back. After a few minutes of calling, he got within 30 yards. He wasn't getting any closer. My son's Mossberg 20ga barked. The hevi shot blend flattened the bird. This bird never made a sound once we saw him...no gobbles, no strutting.

Was shocked the bird was that heavy and the 2nd beard was a great bonus.

Big thanks to my friend Chuck for his turkey expertise. Dude is a machine. No turkey is safe around him.

It's my son's 2nd turkey. Turkey cutlets will be on the menu this week.

Nick

IMG_20170422_063357232.jpg

IMG_20170422_065316516.jpg

Congrats! How heavy was it?

Shockingly. 23 1/2lb. This is a pine barren public land bird. Zone 15. Spurs we're not long. One was 1". The other was 7/8".

His bird from last year had similar beard and Spurs was 18lb. Birds were taken 1/4 mile apart.

Shockingly. 23 1/2lb. This is a pine barren public land bird. Zone 15. Spurs we're not long. One was 1". The other was 7/8".

His bird from last year had similar beard and Spurs was 18lb. Birds were taken 1/4 mile apart.

Nice!  That's heavy!