IGNORED

Union county deer hunt

Stratocaster,  I don't get it, when the tree huggers come up with all their ridiculous ways to control deer herds we shake our heads in disbelief.  This county is allowing a controlled hunt and it's still not good enough. Am I missing something?

Stratocaster,  I don't get it, when the tree huggers come up with all their ridiculous ways to control deer herds we shake our heads in disbelief.  This county is allowing a controlled hunt and it's still not good enough. Am I missing something?

I'm not criticizing you or any other hunter, just the logic of the "policy" they are implementing and trying to have an open discussion.  Hunting that is performed on a YOY basis is the way to control the herd as we all know, but they didn't want to do that.  But maybe my desire for logic is too extreme.

I applaud the idea of allowing hunting but this hunt If you can even call it a hunt, is just too many hoops to jump through.  If I have killed deer every year in the past 5 years, isn't that enough? Nope.

If I show you expertise in marksmanship, isn't that enough? Nope. I have to attend an orientation in addition.  Oh, i also need to have my FID card.  Am I buying a firearm? Nope.  Would any of us put up with that if we hunted Stokes, WMA's?

What you have to go through to get a permit takes too much time and effort.  As hunters, we all had to pass a safety course and cannot buy licenses, if we owe child support, have back taxes to pay, etc...If the county wants a hunt then let bowhunters buy a permit like most other parks and start hunting when the season opens like in Monmouth county with the exception of a few parks.  If you recall, they tried the sharpshooter idea and that didn't work, they tried immunocontraception in other parks and that didn't work.  My point is that we do more than enough as hunters to follow the laws of DFW and firearm laws.  The illogical "anti's" will oppose any lethal idea to control deer and any other animal so that issue is not what I am referring to.

The agenda here is not set by the DFW but the people who sit on the board who have no idea how to manage wildlife, just look at the makeup of the Freeholders and you'll understand, not one biologist among them. The condition of overpopulation of deer was caused by their refusal to allow a hunt every year to control the numbers, (told to them by the DFW) maybe you get that maybe you don't.  Some of the parks have a density of 200 deer/sq mile and that does not happen over night. Now that people and pets are getting Lyme and deer are eating the bushes and running into their Porches they want a hunt.  I used to live next to Lenape so I know it well.  If you and other guys on here want to participate I applaud and congratulate you.  I am over regulated to death and don't need any more just to hunt over a pile of corn.   I also have the 1st amendment right to voice my opinion just like you and hopefully you respect that as well.  Hope you get picked, are blessed by God and have a great "hunt".

I applaud the idea of allowing hunting but this hunt If you can even call it a hunt, is just too many hoops to jump through.

Unfortunately you have to jump through those hoops if you want a hunt to happen in many of these areas.  It took 5 years of meetings and hoops to get one of the hunts that I'm involved with to happen.  It's the day and age that we live in.  

Edited by Rusty

Unfortunately you have to jump through those hoops if you want a hunt to happen in many of these areas.  It took 5 years of meetings and hoops to get one of the hunts that I'm involved with to happen.  It's the day and age that we live in.  

For your work, I applaud you Rusty. Hope your hunt continues. Great job :up: 

Interesting read and thanks for the link guys. I see no issue with this sure those deer may be dumber and easier to take. But it's a management hunt and as long as you enjoy the meat and the time spent hunting who are we to judge I'd do it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012

Interesting read and thanks for the link guys. I see no issue with this sure those deer may be dumber and easier to take. But it's a management hunt and as long as you enjoy the meat and the time spent hunting who are we to judge I'd do it.

They may be easy to kill right now, but deer are smart, they figure out real quick what's safe and what's not.  Give it a couple of years and the deer that are left will be just as wily as any deer that you have ever hunted.   :up:

They may be easy to kill right now, but deer are smart, they figure out real quick what's safe and what's not. Give it a couple of years and the deer that are left will be just as wily as any deer that you have ever hunted. :up:

Point taken you are definitely correct. But isn't that what makes chasing them so much fun!?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012

I agree completely, but ironically many of the guys will drop out of the hunt when it's no longer easy.   

The hunt may actually fail too.  You are required to hunt over bait from a climber using a shotgun.  Once deer learn that they get shot at over feed during the day, the survivors may turn nocturnal.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The hunt may actually fail too.  

Some of these hunts do fail.  Over the past 30 years I've been involved with hunts in 3 counties and 6 different towns, some have done very well but others not so much.  I've got a personal interest in the success of these hunts, my research at Rutgers was on the effectiveness of controlling deer herds through hunting.

The reason for a lack of success with these hunts is often times the hunters themselves.  To succeed these hunts need people that are reliable, proficient, and willing to take out the does.