IGNORED

Rifle Recommendations

Brown bears I would have nothing less than a .338.

I shot 2. One with a 300 win mag with a barnes triple shock. The bear got off the beach when I hit him and I never saw him again.

I shot the other with the 338 with a 250gr swift a frame and I rolled the bear on the beach. He never got back on his feet. Hit him 3 times. Devastating round.

I shot 10 animals in Africa Kudu, Gemsbok Blue and Black Wildebeest. All big bodied animals

It is hard to believe a good shot with a 300 win mag did not result in a harvest. Did it seem like a good placed shot?

It is hard to believe a good shot with a 300 win mag did not result in a harvest. Did it seem like a good placed shot?

I believe the bullet fragmented when it hit the bear. I had a solid rest broadside at 110 yards. I was using my friends gun who tagged out the previous day on a nice Brown.

I also had a 300 Thompson Encore. The Encore was light, kicked like a mule and it didnt travel well in the small zodiak boats we were travelling in. We were cruising the inside passage in Alaska (Admiralty Island) The constant pounding of the waves thew the gun off. I had to check it every day before heading out. I sold that gun when I got home. I had the same problem with it when I flew to Saskatchewan on a deer hunt.

If you are going to buy a gun for hunting trips, buy a gun where you can find ammo on the shelf. If you require specific ammo, keep in mind your hunt could be over before it starts if something happens like your baggage getting lost. When you get off the beaten path, you might not be able to find ammo.

After that trip to Alaska, I also carry a spare scope. Another friend of mine fell on a slippery boulder when he got out of the boat and damaged his gun on the 1st day of a 10 day hunt.

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

30/06/ 308 with a quality scope. Leupold VXI is a quality scope. Whatever type of action and make you fancy. If and when you go for Brown bear/Grizzly I would pick up a 300 mag or 338 mag, so your guide doesn't have to shoot it too many times for you. lol

My Brown bear guide told me after you shoot, I shoot and dont stop shooting until I tell you to stop shooting. Trust me when I tell you its scary $hit when you are tracking a wounded Brown Bear in the dark, moss covered Alaskan bush. I did a spring hunt where the bears are coming out of hibernation coming down to the beaches to eat the first green sedge grass popping up on the shore lines. The guides said dont let the bear get off the beach. Had about 150' between the water and the woodline. If you are going to hunt big game, carry a big stick. A lot of guides hunting dangerous game like to anchor the animal on the 1st shot and kill with follow up shots.

Also a quality scope and rings with a Pelican case.

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

All good info you’re getting here. I would definitely take slaughter up on his offer. The only thing i will add from here is always bring more than enough ammo, don’t rely on having to buy any. Second it is always a good idea to bring a back up gun whether its yours or borrowed and shoot it as much as your primary gun. Sight you guns in for MPBR, with any of the flat shooting guns this eliminates guesswork out to 300+ yrds depending on the cartridge. Practice prone position, off shooting sticks and off a backpack. Shooting at clay birds at various ranges off differant rests will help prepare for the moment of truth. Bench shooting is only for sight in varification and load work up. Good luck and can’t wait to see future pics of success

AWM

I believe the bullet fragmented when it hit the bear. I had a solid rest broadside at 110 yards. I was using my friends gun who tagged out the previous day on a nice Brown.

I also had a 300 Thompson Encore. The Encore was light, kicked like a mule and it didnt travel well in the small zodiak boats we were travelling in. We were cruising the inside passage in Alaska (Admiralty Island) The constant pounding of the waves thew the gun off. I had to check it every day before heading out. I sold that gun when I got home. I had the same problem with it when I flew to Saskatchewan on a deer hunt.

If you are going to buy a gun for hunting trips, buy a gun where you can find ammo on the shelf. If you require specific ammo, keep in mind your hunt could be over before it starts if something happens like your baggage getting lost. When you get off the beaten path, you might not be able to find ammo.

After that trip to Alaska, I also carry a spare scope. Another friend of mine fell on a slippery boulder when he got out of the boat and damaged his gun on the 1st day of a 10 day hunt.

Thanks for the response. Nice bear by the way. I am lucky to say I too have been to Admiralty Island....insane place. I did a fly out flyfishing trip there and fished the Green River. I saw more brown bears than I can count. My guide said there are more brown bears there per square mile than any where in the world.

If we are talking Accuracy (this is my opinion).

It is 50% on the person behind the gun, 25% the gun, and 25% the cartridge system.

When I develop a load I first find my max OAL, then back it off a few thousandths for a given projectile.  Then I use bench rest primers, and 3 different powder loads.  In the Sako usually you will have one group around 1/2" at 100 yards.  Take that load and chronograph it.  I then order a custom turret for that cartridge and install it on the scope.  Basically my 300 win is zeroed at 100, my lapua is zeroed at 200.  I have shot out to 800 with both and can hit milk jugs all day long.  Once you have played out to these distances if you ever have to jump off a horse to shoot a 370 bull at 400 yards that has you pegged it will be a chip shot.  This happened to me a few years back. I didn't have time to range him but knew the gun and I knew the shot.