IGNORED

How can NJDFW Improve Pheasant Hunting

trader979

I see others walking around with guns. You have no clue how experienced and safe they are.

Says a lot about Cancel Carry.   ;)  where there are firearms there are risks The Indoor range in Lakewood has a Hole in the Ceiling Sad. glad I only fish.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

This does not sound like fun. I don't think I would even walk onto a field where I see others walking around with guns. You have no clue how experienced and safe they are.

Which is why when my dog passed never trained new guy to bird hunt.

Dog really loved to hunt it was good exercise but more for him.

I worked harder finding no people than birds, but honestly almost no matter where we went he found them.

These days I cringe when I drive by the lots.

I miss my dog and time in field with him.

All the other things I'll leave to the ones out there and just keep my memories now.

20170618_111326.jpg

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

Which is why when my dog passed never trained new guy to bird hunt.

Dog really loved to hunt it was good exercise but more for him.

I worked harder finding no people than birds, but honestly almost no matter where we went he found them.

These days I cringe when I drive by the lots.

I miss my dog and time in field with him.

All the other things I'll leave to the ones out there and just keep my memories now.

Is that a hotdog? I had one for 18 years/

I would pay and go to some private preserve if I had an itch to bird hunt.

To each its own but I have a hard time accepting the state raising and releasing farm animals in the wild for people to hunt or fish.

It's good, clean fun with kids and dogs. Even alone on cold weekday afternoons when I have the WMA to myself.

I know Swampy Dave will soon start hurling his insults about NJ pheasant hunting as he does every year on NJH, but .... it is, what it is. We're not in Nebraska.

It's good, clean fun with kids and dogs. Even alone on cold weekday afternoons when I have the WMA to myself.

I know Swampy Dave will soon start hurling his insults about NJ pheasant hunting as he does every year on NJH, but .... it is, what it is. We're not in Nebraska.

believe me I don't care enough to be against it., So many people enjoy it so why not? It is just little weird, when I think about it, for the state to be raising animals to be hunted or fished.

Edited by Lunatic

Nothings perfect and improvements could always be made. With that said i think the state does a great job and we'd be lucky if they can sustain their current status quo because It is a steal for $40. Look up how much it would cost to get your limit at a Game Preserve.

Ok I think they need not post the stocking day this will move the birds around and get rid of the first light craziness. Maybe make the start time later to stop the tree hunters . Ok now raise more birds and redo the allocation so the wma in the north get there birds back like black River and Berkshire Valley. other then that I think the state does a good job. Also need to work on habitat to hold more birds cut the fields

Nothings perfect and improvements could always be made. With that said i think the state does a great job and we'd be lucky if they can sustain their current status quo because It is a steal for $40. Look up how much it would cost to get your limit at a Game Preserve.

Just some more food for thought...

They released just over 50K this season. There were approx.12,700 PQ stamp purchased in 2017. That's essentially 4 birds/hunter. If you only shoot 4 birds in a season, $10 a bird. You go out and shoot 8 birds...$5 a bird...Even if you only shoot 2, you're making out better than what you'd pay to go to a preserve...Is everyone getting an equal piece of the pie? Surely not, but that's hunting. Put in your time and kill 20-30-40 birds, you earned it. Shame so many fail to understand that's how it works.. The state may as well just hold tower shoots so people can show up and all take home a prize with the mentality so many have....

I think the state has done a good job with the newly developed allocation formula that began in 2016. In the past couple of years, we have seen more birds spread out over wider, bigger, and safer areas as opposed to several crates just being dumped in WMA parking lots. Many complained when the stamp price rose to $40, including me initially. But, IMO it still is a good deal with the amount of birds that are being put out during the stocking weeks. The allocation info is attached below. 

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/artpheasallocation16.htm

Stop leasing fields to farmers who strip mine every last kernal of corn, and let the fields go fallow, which is great cover for not only pheasants, but deer, rabbits, woodcock, and other wildlife. The Division are sellouts to these farmers who are getting a great deal on quality soil and they are supposed to plant a food plot to mitigate their share of the WMA....meanwhile the license buying constituent that is not a farmer and does not have any farms to hunt, scrapes by on the drippings that WMAs offer. Hell....they just mowed my pals favorite rabbit field a month ago at South Branch WMA because "it was the only time to get equipment in there due to frozen ground" and they mowed it clean and wide....no strips or edges....double puke on that one!!! Accountability needs to happen!! Farmers are also allowed to do mowing for their use of the great WMA soil!!! So they mow our spots, harvest every kernal or bean, get deer depradation permits and shoot deer at night off their crops on our WMAs, then go hunt their own farms....while we are holding our shlebs....tell me whats equitable!?!? Think of all that acreage that is being farmed and stripped with no real use for the license buying sportsmen....the WMAs are obviously crowded...so allow for more area to be hunted by stopping the farming subsidy and let the fields grow in!!! Sorry for the rant....but the program is corrupt and actually has the foxes in the hen house with farmer representatives sitting on the fish n game council!! I predict they will eventually shut down raising birds and will buy them from a private dealer to save money anyway.

Edited by Bonefreak

Getting rid of every illegal alien in NJ would save Billions which can be used for land purchases and restoration projects for upland or waterfowl. Deportation and immigration reform is totally green. Liberals should embrace change and save the environment.

Getting rid of every illegal alien in NJ would save Billions which can be used for land purchases and restoration projects for upland or waterfowl. Deportation and immigration reform is totally green. Liberals should embrace change and save the environment.

Not gonna work need them in state to get votes for a$$ holes that run this state.

Being that we now are going to be classified as a "sanctuary state" we're screwed.

Good by birds and bears hello unwanted

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.