IGNORED

Question about past references

Killshot

I've got a question for the group regarding FID / Handgun references. 

I recently found out that someone I gave a good reference for (+/- 3 years ago) has fallen on some bad times and is in the downward spiral of addiction and divorce. To the point he basically texted me he was suicidal. 

Not trying to get into any Jerry Springer details, I just wonder, because I worry, if its worth stopping by the local PD and reporting so my name isn't on his gravestone. 

Could the local PD even do anything about it? I know the moral decision, I just wonder what the legal decision / ramifications should or would be. 

Thanks for any advise. 

I don't think there is any legal ramifications for trying to get someone who is suicidal help that they need to get better.

I know everyone here is all for 2A rights and to not have the police come in and take away someone's guns willy-nilly, but if a guy truly is a known addict and especially known to be suicidal, I'm thinking that doesn't count. It doesn't help our cause by having a known suicidal addict kill himself (and maybe take some family members with him). This is what we've always been saying, right? Mental illness is where the focus of gun restrictions should be placed.

If he's an addict and suicidal, he needs to fix himself up at first priority - worrying about his guns should be the last thing on his, or anyone's, mind.

NOTE: in NJ, legally his FID is void now anyway. Read the back of the card: "Note: this card is void upon you becoming subject to any of the disabilities set forth in Section 2C:58-3 of the New Jersey Statutes whereupon this card shall be returned to the Superintendent of State Police within five (5) days. Failure to surrender this card is a crime of the fourth degree."

And 2C:58-3 lists being an addict: "2C-58-3( c)(2)To any drug dependent person as defined in section 2 of P.L.1970, c.226 (C.24:21-2)"

This is stated in 2C:58-3(f) which also answers your original question if you can call the police and if they will do anything about it:

A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure of the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:39-10. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by the Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies for the issuance of such permit. The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to such court at any time for the revocation of such card.

My motto in life is when I don't know what to do I don't do anything, but I haven't ever really been in this kind of situation before. 

I did contact his Uncle last night who went to the house to check on him. As a 1st resort, I guess asking the uncle to take away this guys guns isn't totally out of line. If that doesn't work I guess its to the local PD I go this afternoon.

Thanks for the info guys. Mazz, that was really helpful detailed info. Thanks.

My motto in life is when I don't know what to do I don't do anything, but I haven't ever really been in this kind of situation before. 

I will try to be as diplomatic as possible here but this is a ridiculous thing to say. Unless you have been living under a rock you know there are professionals out there who deal with this type of stuff, some a mere 1-800 phone call away. So "don't do anything" is a good way to possibly end up attending your friend's funeral. It is great that you called his uncle but you should follow up because your friend probably reached out to you for a reason. Get this guy some help and get someone to take his guns away.

When these mass shootings occur and the anti rhetoric reaches a fever pitch we all talk about how it isn't a gun issue it is a mental health issue. Well no time like the present to start towards resolving those issues.

I'm sure if you call these folks they can give you advice on what to do for your friend, maybe even help locate local resources

National Suicide Prevention Hotline

Call 1-800-273-8255

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Edited by newjerseyhunter

Give your friend a call right now.  Tell him you're very concerned about him and can he meet you today for a cup of coffee somewhere public.  When you are face to face, you will have a much better idea of just how bad his situation is.  Then take action from there, like handing him a suicide prevention phone #, offer to drive him to a facility that can help him which my guess is that a suicide prevention hotline call can quickly give you for your area. then the police if all else fails.  Him reaching out to you is a cry for help and time is often not on your friend's side!  

At the risk of sounding like a Jerk, Which isn't really abnormal for me, I had a friend call me Saying the same thing once.. He was 50 years old at the time.. His mother had Died not to long before..  I immediately got disgusted with his self pity and told him to grow the "F" up or call someone who wants to listen to his stupid sh*t.. I have no tolerance for mentally weak idiots and do believe they would be doing society a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool..  He's still alive today and happy to be alive....

:cupcoffee:

:D

At the risk of sounding like a Jerk, Which isn't really abnormal for me, I had a friend call me Saying the same thing once.. He was 50 years old at the time.. His mother had Died not to long before..  I immediately got disgusted with his self pity and told him to grow the "F" up or call someone who wants to listen to his stupid sh*t.. I have no tolerance for mentally weak idiots and do believe they would be doing society a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool..  He's still alive today and happy to be alive....

^^^ All good advise except this one ^^^

Call police.  Get him to a crisis center.  Remove the weapons.  Follow-up continuously with your full support and don't take your eyes off him.  You may feel like a dick for doing this, but at least he'll be alive to call you one. 

Edited by B B

I really appreciate all of the advise. 

I used it to come up with my own hybrid solution. 

I just left his house with all of his firearms, that way I didn't condemn the guy to a lifetime of regret after whats hopefully a temporary rough patch. I gave him a choice, I hold them for his son or the police department does but either way he's not, he choose me. 

I gave him all the phone numbers to help centers as well, now what he does with it is on him. His uncle offered to stay with him so that's that. 

I feel a lot better about this now. 

I'm glad I asked. Well almost, Axiom, you are kind of a jerk 

I really appreciate all of the advise. 

I used it to come up with my own hybrid solution. 

I just left his house with all of his firearms, that way I didn't condemn the guy to a lifetime of regret after whats hopefully a temporary rough patch. I gave him a choice, I hold them for his son or the police department does but either way he's not, he choose me. 

I gave him all the phone numbers to help centers as well, now what he does with it is on him. His uncle offered to stay with him so that's that. 

I feel a lot better about this now. 

I'm glad I asked. Well almost, Axiom, you are kind of a jerk 

This was the best possible solution.  You removed the problem from the equation and gave him better options.

I would never have called the cops, you are not qualified to know if he's truly a threat or not, and you can seriously complicate things for people by getting involved with good intentions.  Cops are always a last resort in mental health situations.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

At the risk of sounding like a Jerk, Which isn't really abnormal for me, I had a friend call me Saying the same thing once.. He was 50 years old at the time.. His mother had Died not to long before.. I immediately got disgusted with his self pity and told him to grow the "F" up or call someone who wants to listen to his stupid sh*t.. I have no tolerance for mentally weak idiots and do believe they would be doing society a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool.. He's still alive today and happy to be alive....

Axiom are you just a troll or are you dead serious? Because this is by far one of the most cynical and malevolent things I've ever heard. Even for you. I'm sorry you grew up in the Stone Age where it was a common misconception that mental illness is a weakness or deformity. Not everyone's brain is wired the same, and some people may have a chemical imbalance or disorder that makes them more vulnerable to suicidal thoughts. The stigmas surrounding depression and mental disorders are just awful, and people like you need to stop voicing your misinformed opinions when in fact it just makes you seem uneducated. To say that anyone should "do society a favor" and "remove themselves from the gene pool" when they're going through tough times and reaching out is just downright atrocious. I'm sure they're is members of the site that may have lost someone to suicide and the fact that you would spew out crap like that is appalling. In the future, Please inform yourself before making such idiotic statements. Please become a liberal, because people like you give the right a bad name. You're literally "deplorable" Edited by DeplorableDan