IGNORED

Buck to Doe Ratios

Rusty

After a very extensive and thorough research project, that lasted from 4:00 to 5:00 this afternoon, I have some good hard data on buck to doe ratios in zone 6.  This afternoon 7 deer were observed, 3 antlered bucks, one button buck, 2 adult does, and one doe fawn.

We can conclude that northern NJ has a better than 1:1 buck to doe ratio.  This study has been TurkeyWing approved.  :D

In all seriousness though, we've lived here for nearly 30 years and have always seen more bucks than does on Sparta Mt WMA.   

Edited by Rusty

After a very extensive and thorough research project, that lasted from 4:00 to 5:00 this afternoon, I have some good hard data on buck to doe ratios in zone 6.  This afternoon 7 deer were observed, 3 antlered bucks, one button buck, 2 adult does, and one doe fawn.

We've lived here for nearly 30 years and have always seen more bucks than does on Sparta Mt WMA.   

You should publish that study. You're a biologist, it must be legit.  :up:

Kind of mirrors what I've seen for the last few years. This year being the most visible difference. I have been running about 15 cams on several different WMA's in zone 27, 28 & 35. In only one spot, and on only a few occasions, have I captured 2 adult does together. Usually it's just a doe and a fawn or two. The big herds have been gone for a decade and even the groups of 5 or 6 deer, does and fawns, have been missing since about 2013. I do get several small bucks on camera though. One cam in zone 27 captured 6 different spikes, 3 & 4 pts this year, but no more than 3 antlerless deer at a time, and only one of them an adult doe. Hunting that spot I get what seems like the same 3 deer coming through between 8 and 9 am, and several different small bucks roaming through looking. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It's funny.. my trail camera has a dozen or more bucks on it and only an occasional doe..

My buddy's camera about 100-150 yards from mine has all does and no bucks.

From my zone 10 stand this season I've seen 10 different bucks, the same 3 or 4 button bucks every week, and 3 or 4 adult does and maybe 1 or 2 doe fawns

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

I'm in zone 6 too. Have lived here for 13 years and have seen doe disappear. We have several cameras running year round and see the same deer.

We only have three doe (mom and two yearling doe) and now 7 "resident" bucks (two older 8pt bucks have been taken already this year ) we have an 8pt and 7pt and the rest are small 2 and 3pts. We have 150 acres in my back yard that backs up to WMA land and that's all we see. 5 years ago we would see a dozen doe a night all over the place. Now just the same three and that's it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk