IGNORED

Coyote question

So we have a bear manager program where biologist monitor trap and relocate if they are a nuisance to people crops or livestock. In the last decade or more I've noticed and insurgents coyote complaints these Critters are basically nocturnal very smart and I believe very invasive meat Hunters they will eat your chicken your cat your dog I believe they lay in prey when the state stocks Birds thus having a detrimental impact come daylight few pheasants found the yotes took them underground I believe turkey poults deer fawns fall prey many numbers over my question is has the New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Council disgust the issue that maybe coyote are having an impact it seems to me and implementation control should be a high priority on the list.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Not exclusively nocturnal they move in the daytime especially as it gets colder. They just have a hunting advantage at night. They are very smart. They will eat chickens though I have several farmers who ask me to trap when they get out of line. I would not say they are having a detrimental impact. The state studies population annually to adjust following years numbers. That's why it's important to send back the survey they send u at the end of the year.  Yes fawns and turkeys fall prey and an occasional dog or cat. But like I said they are smart. No one cares if u eat a Turkey. Eat someomes dog usually rifles will be fired. They avoid human contact so if u have one that is aggressive u are either too close to her pups or its sick. State website has all info for hunting them. I think the permit is 2 dollars lol. Much of what u hear is myth. Anyone who has ever tried to trap one will tell you how smart they are. They also have a home range of like 15 miles so they dont typically just live in your yard terrorizing families lol.

They have a predator season in the early spring.  I never miss it.  My favorite time to hunt because it's not just "bait and wait".  You are hunting another predator.  They WILL outsmart you most of the time.  It's one of the few times you can rifle hunt in NJ.  I take my trusty AR-15 out for those hunts.

So there's a season.  Very few people go out during it (another reason why I like being in the woods during this season; there's no one else in the woods).  I strongly encourage folks to go out and whack yotes during this season.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

10 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

They have a predator season in the early spring.  I never miss it.  My favorite time to hunt because it's not just "bait and wait".  You are hunting another predator.  They WILL outsmart you most of the time.  It's one of the few times you can rifle hunt in NJ.  I take my trusty AR-15 out for those hunts.

So there's a season.  Very few people go out during it (another reason why I like being in the woods during this season; there's no one else in the woods).  I strongly encourage folks to go out and whack yotes during this season.

Early Spring? January and February 

People are scared to report their kill because they dont kmow the rules which is shocking in the information era we live. Very few people in the woods like lunatic said which is great as I really dont like people lol. AR is a great weapon for it. It ain't like the shows where they hit the call and they come charging in lol. 1 out of 50 maybe do that and one that dumb wont be very big.  But to your original post there is a season get out there and whack them!! You just have to dress warm be quiet and still. Scent control is key. And to hunt them have to be out when they are. Late night or early am.

23 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

For some reason they are hard to kill in this state. 

They are so weary it's unbelievable I've only a few on my trail cams or in darkness they are the empitome of stealth basically they fell off the face of the Earth in New Jersey in the sixties and seventies they have made a hugh resurgence adapt and improvise a shame why can't they be more people-friendly?

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

11 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

They are so weary it's unbelievable I've only a few on my trail cams or in darkness they are the empitome of stealth basically they fell off the face of the Earth in New Jersey in the sixties and seventies they have made a hugh resurgence adapt and improvise a shame why can't they be more people-friendly?

I will be trying again next week but in 3 years I have not called in one single yote

I'm definitely going out again this year - already bought my $2 permit. Hunting at night is FUN! Even though it's only with a shotgun, and even if you don't see them, just walking and stalking in the woods at night is different and exciting. I don't go out 'coon hunting at night, so it's the only opportunity I have to get out at night to hunt. Even during the day is fun because it's one of the rare times you can use rifles and, like said previously, no one is out in the woods late February and March. That's why I like crow hunting, too - I'm the only one out there.

Last year I finally called a yote in (first one ever, and I've been hunting them the past several seasons). It was during the morning, and I knew the yote was there because the day before I ran into him while walking out of the woods after a morning squirrel hunt. It's awesome to see them trot out and eye your decoy (sucks when you shoot-and-miss though :lookaround:) But they are smart, no doubt about it. I see and hear them EVERYWHERE and last year was the one and only time I ever had one come to my calls. I also upgraded to a new FoxPro this year. Looking forward to trying it out.

If you can hear them calling at night, you'll have a good chance at bagging one.  If you don't hear them, you won't see them.

We used to hear them barking all night long in Haskell 3-4 years ago.  Now you barely see them.  :)

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.