IGNORED

Safety Harnesses?

DBuck

Rock climbing harness they are meant to hang freely from you aren’t going to flip upside down! There’s a reason climbers use them instead of the harnesses most hunters use. They’re actually easier to use and you can wear a hood, take shirts and jackets on and off easier while hooked up. It’s all pluses with very little minuses. Look up suspension trauma and you’ll probably agree it’s the way to go. 

People rock climb in these harnesses all day every day. I think it would be rare to flip upside down when falling just a couple feet and the prussic stopping you. They are also much more comfortable when you are hanging - I got rid of my HSS hunting harness because when I practiced hanging in mind, the pain was unbearable in the groin area after like 30 seconds. These rock climbing harnesses are meant to be used when hanging for hours - so much more comfortable with less pain around the leg straps.

We've had a few discussion threads on the forums about pros and cons of climbing harnesses - and this flipping upside down question came up. Can't remember where it was, but search for "rock climbing harness" and a few threads will come up from the past few months.

11 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Cant go wrong with a muddy harness. I fell last season and it worked flawless. Bought a new one and after last season, will never not wear it. Comfortable and even has additional connection points for other gear. 

When you fell did it pinch anywhere, like the groin area? How easy was it to get back in your stand?

If you hunt solo and there's a chance that you might be hanging for an extended period of time before rescue would arrive in the event of a fall, I would strongly recommend a harness that would not cause suspension trauma. That's the reason I switched to a rock climbing harness

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

An alternative is to have with you and use one of those slow fall-arrester gadgets that slowly lower you to the ground in the event of a fall. Those are interesting, but why I don't have one is that it's yet one more thing to carry in the woods and I'm paranoid the thing would break :nerd:

There ain't a buck in the woods that's worth dying for. Wear a harness. Any harness is better than no harness

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

3 hours ago, DBuck said:

When you fell did it pinch anywhere, like the groin area? How easy was it to get back in your stand?

I was in a climber so it was difficult to get back without any sticks or ladder but I stayed upright the whole time. I hung for about 2 mins to catch my breath and compose myself. Only pinch I felt was in my armpits where the straps dug in as I fell forward and snapped back. Lesson learned was to keep tree strap as high as possible so even falling you are about level with platform. Mine was low due to way I was in tree cover. The elastic cord  helped a lot but was shot after the fall. 

Edited by Hawkeye57

I was in a climber so it was difficult to get back without any sticks or ladder but I stayed upright the whole time. I hung for about 2 mins to catch my breath and compose myself. Only pinch I felt was in my armpits where the straps dug in as I fell forward and snapped back. Lesson learned was to keep tree strap as high as possible so even falling you are about level with platform. Mine was low due to way I was in tree cover. The elastic cord  helped a lot but was shot after the fall. 
We are all glad you made it out. Thanks for sharing your experience and lesson on tree strap height.

16 hours ago, supr78nova said:

Here's mine 20181029_183242.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Maybe a stupid question but do you wear the harness with the carbineer connected to the Orange strap in the front or back of you? If the front how do you run the rope? 

I started using a rock climbing harness last year.  I prefer it over a TMA harness.  It seems like a lot of people who use the standard TMA harness get quite animated against rock climbing harnesses.  But, I've never really heard of anyone who uses a rock climbing harness that has said the TMA harness was better.....

Just climb 5 feet with a TMA harness and step off your climber.  See how much it hurts and how awkward it is to recover.  Do the same with rock climbing harness.  You'll see the difference.

Only downside of rock climbing harness is no lineman loops.  I added my own.  Some people don't like to modify so don't do that.  Make your own judgment.  

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/24328-climbing-harness-set-up/?tab=comments#comment-304860

Edited by dlist777

27 minutes ago, Horn63 said:

Maybe a stupid question but do you wear the harness with the carbineer connected to the Orange strap in the front or back of you? If the front how do you run the rope? 

Front of you - act like you are a rock climber. The rope can go under your armpit and up to the tree strap out of the way. I think I can swing and draw a bow in both directions much easier using a climbing harness.

One good thing about using a climbing harness, when you fall, you are facing the tree so easier to recover. Fall with your back to the tree like with a hunting harness, and you need to spin around to grab hold of the tree, or (what's left of) your tree stand or whatever - gonna be more difficult.