IGNORED

Is it legal?

Is it legal?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Can you park your vehicle in a school parking lot and go bowhunting with a bow or crossbow?

• Yes
    • No

I vividly remember walking past our elementary school with empty shotguns over our shoulders on our way to hunt the woods behind the school as teens and that was completely normal at the time.  I voted "yes", so long as the archery equipment does not have a knocked arrow or bolt.  If the town or private school is OK with you parking on school property to begin with.  

I voted no because there is no way you can be allowed weapons on school grounds and I am pretty sure you can only be there for school releated events or business. now back when I was in high school we would keep our guns in locker and hunt behind football field during lunch and after school. our bus driver also used bus to move cattle from one place to another and ask us to watch our step when getting on.

Edited by rgw

In this day and age I voted no.  Pretty sure public schools are still private grounds and subject to their rules.  Just because it's a "public" school doesn't mean it's open to the public, it just means it managed by a public entity no?

So perhaps some schools would allow you to park and hunt behind them, but here in NJ I would say that is highly doubtful and they almost all certainly have a "no weapons permitted on premises" rule, which you would be violating and held legally accountable for.

I voted no, not because I know the answer, but because.. come on, its New Jersey. Schools normally are "Weapons Free Zones", no? I would think even if you are just carrying a bow without a nocked arrow, it would be considered a weapon. It might boil down to local laws, rather than state law in the case of archery equipment though. For sure, firearms are going to be a no-no - again, come on, its New Jersey.

But I did find this - school districts are allowed to purchase land for hunting purposes!

18A:20-2.2  Use of school district surplus funds for joint acquisition of land for recreation, conservation purposes.

2. a. A school district may expend any of its surplus funds for the joint acquisition of land for recreation and conservation purposes with a municipality, notwithstanding the participation of any other public entity in the purchase, provided that the transaction does not violate any federal or State law and has a direct nexus to, and substantially furthers the core mission of, the school district.

b.Nothing in this section shall interfere with or limit the oversight authority of any State agency over a school district.

c.For the purposes of this section, "recreation and conservation purposes" means the use of lands for beaches, biological or ecological study, boating, camping, fishing, forests, greenways, hunting, natural areas, parks, playgrounds, protecting historic properties, water reserves, watershed protection, wildlife preserves, active sports, or a similar use for either public outdoor recreation or conservation of natural resources, or both.

Edited by mazzgolf

Some of it boils down to the legal definition of a crossbow.  Is it considered a firearm or a bow?  Not within the scope of hunting regulations, but the state laws (as draconian as they are).

I was parking in the far back lot of the PCCC in Wanaque, because as a fat, slow, lazy and old hunter, the slope on that side of the hill is easier than switchbacking from my side of the hill to my hunting spot.  I would park there and schlep up the hill, returning with a knocked arrow to shoot into my ball target and then drive home.

This is the legal definition of a firearm in NJ:

2009 New Jersey Code
TITLE 2C - THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Section 2C:39

2C:39-1 - Definitions

f."Firearm" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances.  It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

Unfortunately, that last part can make a crossbow fall into that category.  And I believe schools are "gun free zones" with draconian penalties levied on folks who violate those laws.

My "law-abiding yet extremely paranoid because I live in NJ where everyone is considered a criminal" interpretation of that statue means that any legal hunting implement may be classified as a firearm and as such, make me a felon for parking near a school for the convenience of going to my hunting spot.

Cops in my town would probably tell me to stop doing it and let me go my way, but the scary part is if an anti decided to go nuclear, I'd probably be locked up, tarred and feathered, and end up with my mug in the PETA site with a nice article.  And of course the felony would permanently disarm me in the process.

So I stopped doing it.  The legality of it is ambiguous, but I think there is room in there for the interpretation and the right kind of situation to make it devastating to even consider doing again in the future.  I had been parking there without issue for at least six weeks before I succumbed to the paranoia.

Just wanted to hear from other folks to see what their thoughts were.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I am paranoid, but not that paranoid to think a crossbow is considered a firearm by NJ law :)

The purpose of that second part you highlighted looks to be how they got airguns to be categorized as a firearm in NJ (notice: spring, gas, carbon dioxide, etc) - and why you need a NICS background check if you want to buy an airgun in NJ.

You do not need a NICS check to buy a crossbow in NJ - that should tell you that NJ does not consider it a firearm.

I was parking in the far back lot of the PCCC in Wanaque, because as a fat, slow, lazy and old hunter, the slope on that side of the hill is easier than switchbacking from my side of the hill to my hunting spot.  I would park there and schlep up the hill, returning with a knocked arrow to shoot into my ball target and then drive home.

This is where you might run afoul of the law. I don't know what PCCC is (community college?) - is there a ball field, playground, track, or something like that near by? Because with a nocked arrow, you need to be aware of your safety zone - safety zones around school playgrounds are 450' regardless if its a firearm or bow (it is not 150' when its a school playground, its 450'). Now MY paranoia kicks in and says "a college is considered a school, and a college football field, basketball court, track, etc can be considered a "school playground").

I was parking in the far back lot of the PCCC in Wanaque, because as a fat, slow, lazy and old hunter, the slope on that side of the hill is easier than switchbacking from my side of the hill to my hunting spot.  I would park there and schlep up the hill.  

I'm not buying it, I've seen you scampering through the hills of north Jersey.    :rofl:

Here's the next Where's Waldo?, only this time it's Where's HH? 

Hike.JPG

Find another place to park, why invite a potential problem

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."