IGNORED

I think I found best pizza in NJ

JHbowhunter

1 hour ago, Stealthy_Bowman said:

You need to go! I haven’t been back since right before Covid and am also originally from 30 minutes outside Naples. Born in San Pablo Bel Sito, which is a small village next to Nola. Moved to the US when I was 8, shortly after the massive quake that hit the region in 1980.  Back then, immigration to the US didn’t involve just walking across the southern border into the country lol. We actually followed a process, that was within the confines of the law, and became naturalized citizens. Whatever happened to that! LOL!

Naples and the surrounding area are one of the most delicious spots on earth, as long as you have a bit of $. And moving south, Calabria and then Sicily too.

I’m shocked that nobody has mentioned using a pizza steel ? 
This is a must for the at home pizza maker.  I came across this about 5 years ago, and it’s a game changer.  The steel conducts 20X more heat than a ceramic stone and roughly 4x the heat of the oven, resulting in an amazing crust with zero flop ! 
I own a .375” Nerd Chef cooking steel. 
I place in oven on lowest rack, and preheat at 525* for an hour. Preferably use a wooden peel dusted with semolina or corn meal for easier transfer to the cooking surface.

IMG_6474.png

71538722019__93F19CD4-7F10-4D50-83ED-8E492D0CC86A.jpeg

71538749867__D5930F60-BCA9-4772-9090-FEA1772296B0.jpeg

71539176709__87070367-A47D-43DB-82B0-9AD325A79BE8.jpeg

70260096464__D1072C4B-FA3F-4ED9-AA74-14BACFE23844.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

69655594504__AA2A5F88-7C59-4D79-932D-F9F248C9C50C.jpeg

69655581872__1EDC6C3E-A2B7-4978-B7F5-1B71AE23AEB7.jpeg

One of the best I’ve had is my uncles. His moms from Italy and they use their homemade sauce. Cooked in a wood pizza oven at their ski house in Vermont. As a kid I have fond memories of spirtos in Elizabeth and this place Florence ravioli in scotch plains used to carry pizzas from Johnson avenue bakery. They were frozen and amazing. 

28 minutes ago, JRL said:

This is a must for the at home pizza maker.  I came across this about 5 years ago, and it’s a game changer.  The steel conducts 20X more heat than a ceramic stone and roughly 4x the heat of the oven, resulting in an amazing crust with zero flop ! 
I place in oven on lowest rack, and preheat at 525* for an hour. Preferably use a wooden peel dusted with semolina or corn meal for easier transfer to the cooking surface.

IMG_6474.png

71538749867__D5930F60-BCA9-4772-9090-FEA1772296B0.jpeg

71539176709__87070367-A47D-43DB-82B0-9AD325A79BE8.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

69655594504__AA2A5F88-7C59-4D79-932D-F9F248C9C50C.jpeg

69655581872__1EDC6C3E-A2B7-4978-B7F5-1B71AE23AEB7.jpeg

Thanks for this. I make a bunch of pizza at home, but just use a stone. Will definitely look into this. 

I only make pizza at home during the summer outdoors on my gas grill. I doubted the ability to do this but took the plunge several years ago. The flavor comes out much different than an oven baked pizza. I DO NOT use any kind of stone or pan either. I put it directly on the rack. NO, it doesn't stick! :nonono:

I make the small size. Easier to flip and handle. 

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I only make pizza at home during the summer outdoors on my gas grill. I doubted the ability to do this but took the plunge several years ago. The flavor comes out much different than an oven baked pizza. I DO NOT use any kind of stone or pan either. I put it directly on the rack. NO, it doesn't stick! :nonono:

I make the small size. Easier to flip and handle. 

You flip your pizza!?

6 minutes ago, kohunter said:

You flip your pizza!?

Yes. It cooks so quickly that you can't keep it on only one side long enough to cook the toppings. 

I cook one side, flip and lightly oil. Apply toppings and cook a few more minutes until cheese melts. 

Comes out nice and crispy! :up:

Edited by archer36

Nobody …. Especially in New Jersey.. will ever unanimously agree on the best pizza in the state. Not only are you choosing from an over saturated pool of some of the best pizzas in the country, you are also trying to get an opinion from the most overly opinionated concentration of confident assholes this country has to offer.. 🤣 

Then if by some miracle you actually come to something that resembles consensus you must now differentiate what style of pizza you’re rating. Is it  New York/New Jersey style, Neapolitan style, bar/tavern style, medium crust, Sicilian, Grandma, Detroit, etc. etc..???

Whenever somebody says, “ I’m from New York, so I know pizza.” I automatically tune out and think they’re a douche. Brooklyn/New York pizza is not a shadow of what it used to be. Gentrification has driven out the Mom and Pops and those businesses have moved, making  Staten Island and New Jersey pizzas the lucky recipients. 

I’m second generation owner, 2024 marks out 55th year in business. In that time we’ve always had our taxidermy and pictures proudly hung in the shop for all to see. I NEVER gave a single fuck about antis. As a matter of fact, I would take their money, put it aside and use their money to buy bullets and arrows and pay for hunts with. 

lastly …. I have no competition. Fellow pizzeria owners are my friends. We have the same schedule so we typically congregate together. The competition is with you, the consumer.  (If anything WAWA $5 footlongs  are my biggest competitor … 😂)

10 minutes ago, 68Ioweu1 said:

Nobody …. Especially in New Jersey.. will ever unanimously agree on the best pizza in the state. Not only are you choosing from an over saturated pool of some of the best pizzas in the country, you are also trying to get an opinion from the most overly opinionated concentration of confident assholes this country has to offer.. 🤣 

Then if by some miracle you actually come to something that resembles consensus you must now differentiate what style of pizza you’re rating. Is it  New York/New Jersey style, Neapolitan style, bar/tavern style, medium crust, Sicilian, Grandma, Detroit, etc. etc..???

Whenever somebody says, “ I’m from New York, so I know pizza.” I automatically tune out and think they’re a douche. Brooklyn/New York pizza is not a shadow of what it used to be. Gentrification has driven out the Mom and Pops and those businesses have moved, making  Staten Island and New Jersey pizzas the lucky recipients. 

I’m second generation owner, 2024 marks out 55th year in business. In that time we’ve always had our taxidermy and pictures proudly hung in the shop for all to see. I NEVER gave a single fuck about antis. As a matter of fact, I would take their money, put it aside and use their money to buy bullets and arrows and pay for hunts with. 

lastly …. I have no competition. Fellow pizzeria owners are my friends. We have the same schedule so we typically congregate together. The competition is with you, the consumer.  (If anything WAWA $5 footlongs  are my biggest competitor … 😂)

Is that because Manville pizza doesnt have a footlong to compete with?

1 hour ago, JRL said:

:doh2:          :poke:       Does that oven have a self cleaning Cycle ????  Just funning are is it still in the breaking Stage ?????

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

41 minutes ago, 68Ioweu1 said:

As a pizza maker, what do you think are the factors to other parts of the country not being able to make pizza as good as NY/NJ?