IGNORED

Dove Hunting

19 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

If I have it correct, the State Legislature first needs to list the mourning dove as a gamebird. It is currently listed as a songbird. Then the Division could set dates like most states.  They obviously have intentions if Larry is talking about it.  

I've spoken about this subject before on this site. In the 90s I met with someone about getting a season on doves.  Like you said they are a songbird not a gamebird. I forget the guys name. I even included a stamp requirement in my proposal (similar to woodcock back then) so the system would get some revenue. 

Bottom line was it wasn't fish&game that would fight it. It was the Audubon society. He basically said they aren't going to reclassify a bird so we could murder them. Lol.  

Maybe(hopefully) things have changed in the last 30 years.  Lol. 

1 minute ago, Swamprat said:

I've spoken about this subject before on this site. In the 90s I met with someone about getting a season on doves.  Like you said they are a songbird not a gamebird. I forget the guys name. I even included a stamp requirement in my proposal (similar to woodcock back then) so the system would get some revenue. 

Bottom line was it wasn't fish&game that would fight it. It was the Audubon society. He basically said they aren't going to reclassify a bird so we could murder them. Lol.  

Maybe(hopefully) things have changed in the last 30 years.  Lol. 

Assuming we’re talking about the NJ Audubon Society, things have changed.  I no longer know senior leadership there though. All they need to do is not fight the change. 

Use to hunt pidgeons and doves at the farms upstate NY. Cut cornfields would hold pidgeons as well as doves. Not the same pidgeons that were found under the trestles in the city or homing birds guys would race. 🤣🤣

14 hours ago, Rjtfd said:

Use to hunt pidgeons and doves at the farms upstate NY. Cut cornfields would hold pidgeons as well as doves. Not the same pidgeons that were found under the trestles in the city or homing birds guys would race. 🤣🤣

Pretty sure doves are not legal quarry in NYS.

22 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

They are both species of doves, but are not the same species. In many states, rock doves/pigeons have no protections and can be killed at any time. Mourning doves are a blast to shoot and taste great. 

Many yeras ago On  a skkeet tournament in PA they had Life Tower Pigeon Shoots Kids made money running out to twist their heads, They were money makers for Clubs and even the towns, and for many years they have tried to ban it, with no success My Point since there are people against it adding Doves as sport hunting is a hard Fight. especialy with to days karrens & Gavins, 

Off toipic Sunday hunting in NJ  as a Hard go. 

images.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

12 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

Many yeras ago On  a skkeet tournament in PA they had Life Tower Pigeon Shoots Kids made money running out to twist their heads, They were money makers for Clubs and even the towns, and for many years they have tried to ban it, with no success My Point since there are people against it adding Doves as sport hunting is a hard Fight. especialy with to days karrens & Gavins, 

Off toipic Sunday hunting in NJ  as a Hard go. 

images.jpg

Learn something everyday!!  

never knew the male version of a Karen is a Gavin!!!  Lmfao

carry on!!

56 minutes ago, LanceinNJ said:

If folks don't know the difference between a dove and a pigeon, I'm a bit concerned. Hoping it's sarcasm, but can't really tell.

Not sarcasm. You tell me the difference. Because everything I read, I find two different things... either (a) pigeons and doves are scientifically the same bird and (b) they have a few physical differences.

Some even changed names -- Rock Dove is now called a Rock Pigeon, for example.

Google it, and you tell me what the difference is. All I see is "pigeon" is considered slightly bigger and sometimes "doves" have a different kind of tail. But colorization isn't a way to tell (as far as I'm able to find out).

https://www.pigeonrescue.org/2021/09/06/whats-the-difference-between-pigeons-doves

• "When it comes to how birds in the family Columbidae receive their common names, I don’t think there is any pattern determining what gets called a pigeon and what gets called a dove"
  • The common name “Rock pigeon” was previously “Rock dove”, because all of this wasn’t confusing enough. Around 2004, British ornithologists decided to change the name to Rock pigeon, and America soon followed.

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/pigeon-vs-dove-2-key-differences-explained/

• "pigeons and doves are both members of the bird family Columbidae.  More than that, they are both technically the same birds as there is no scientific difference between the two."

https://abcbirds.org/blog21/pigeons-doves-of-united-states/

• "The main difference between pigeons and doves is not taxonomic (both are members of the Columbidae family) — but rather a linguistic one. While the word pigeon has its roots in French, dove is of Nordic origin. Although the terms “pigeon” and “dove” have no technical definition, today we tend to categorize the smaller species as doves and the larger ones as pigeons."