IGNORED

Dove Hunting

1 hour ago, Orangeandtealarrows said:

I see that Dove hunting is a topic at the NJSFSC convention.  Anyone know if they will finally have a season?

IMG_3527.jpeg

If I have it correct, the State Legislature first needs to list the mourning dove as a gamebird. It is currently listed as a songbird. Then the Division could set dates like most states.  They obviously have intentions if Larry is talking about it.  

11 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

This would be a dream come true!!  But I’m not guna hold my breath w the libtard administration running this state. “Bearly “ were able to get a bear hunt….& we are guna get a songbird declassified as a gamebird?!  Hope the stars align!!

I’ll reach out to Larry to learn more. 

I would love that! Always hear about people having loads of fun shooting doves and I heard they are good eats too. But I agree with @Bonefreak ... can you  imagine the uproar in the environmental extremist camp that a song bird ("awww a SONG bird") getting classified as a game bird???? There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

But! Hope springs eternal.

My problem is - I don't know a dove from a pigeon :) I wouldn't know what to shoot lol

Where are doves around here anyway?

7 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I would love that! Always hear about people having loads of fun shooting doves and I heard they are good eats too. But I agree with @Bonefreak ... can you  imagine the uproar in the environmental extremist camp that a song bird ("awww a SONG bird") getting classified as a game bird???? There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

But! Hope springs eternal.

My problem is - I don't know a dove from a pigeon :) I wouldn't know what to shoot lol

Where are doves around here anyway?

Lmfao!  Hunted em in Pennsy in high school and we found em in picked grain fields, rock quarries, new construction sites, power lines, and anywhere ragweed was growing. 

my friend lives in Virginia and the tradition goes back generations…opening day is for friends and families getting together hunting field edges followed by a barbecue.  It’s a great way to start youth hunters cuz lots of action and small gage shotguns used! 

WAIT A MINUTE! Is a pigeon a dove, and a dove a pigeon??? I always thought they were different birds!!

But this article says they are the same (although, frankly, this author can't seem to make up their mind. Are they the same or different? First it says they are the same ("There is absolutely no scientific difference between doves and pigeons), but then the article continues to talk about their differences :headscratch: Well, are they the same bird or not???

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/pigeon-vs-dove-2-key-differences-explained/

I think main differences are mourning doves are smaller and frequent the habitat I stated above…& pigeons are a bit larger and frequent more urban areas where people give them free food. Lol. I don’t think you will see pigeons if you’re out huntin in the woods and fields. Also, I think n Europe they eat pigeons and call it squab??

IMG_9981.png

IMG_9982.png

IMG_9983.jpeg

Edited by Bonefreak

Here's why I'm curious. My friend's farm that I often hunt geese, every time I'm out there I see a HUGE flock of birds - hundred+ birds. I always thought they were "pigeons", but there is always one or two in the flock that stand out because they are bright white. Anyway, they fly together - looks like a big "cloud" when they are flying.  They eventually land in the field, hang out for 60 seconds pecking at the seeds, then something spooks one of them and they all get up, fly together in that "cloud", land again after a while, and the cycle continues.

Now I'm curious what they are.

46 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Here's why I'm curious. My friend's farm that I often hunt geese, every time I'm out there I see a HUGE flock of birds - hundred+ birds. I always thought they were "pigeons", but there is always one or two in the flock that stand out because they are bright white. Anyway, they fly together - looks like a big "cloud" when they are flying.  They eventually land in the field, hang out for 60 seconds pecking at the seeds, then something spooks one of them and they all get up, fly together in that "cloud", land again after a while, and the cycle continues.

Now I'm curious what they are.

Sounds like pigeons.