IGNORED

NJ's Bobcat Population

47 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I do a lot of predator hunting in morris, passaic, and sussex counties.  I call bobcat in about 1 in every 4 sets

Yup I stopped fox hunting a couple areas because all I called in was bobcats 

Out of control . Have way to many pics of them . Found a dead gobbler last year that a cat got . And they basically eliminated a roost that always had birds for as long as I can remember.  Endangered my ass . 

They are fawn killers. I see them all the time in the mid-west and they are much smaller than the ones I have seen in NJ. I had one cross in front of my truck in Califon a few weeks ago @ 1600 and I could not believe the size of him. Definitely a good sized cat that could take a young deer down no problem.  As far as the state and how they make these determination's I find it interesting. I dealt with more aggravation over bald eagles nests on my property, which is zoned commercial than I care to remember. The State does not care how it impacts you financially and they will send representative's several times a week to make sure their boundaries are being enforced. We had a 1/2 mile no work zone around the entire perimeter of the nest that went on for years, whether it was nesting season or not.   

10 hours ago, NJNewbie said:

For the trappers out there. How do you avoid trapping bobcats? Wouldn't they get into your traps when going for foxes? 

It's not easy. Cats are dumb.

Avoid beaver dams and crossing logs, don't mark your sets with flagging. And avoid entanglement when ever possible.

10 hours ago, NJNewbie said:

For the trappers out there. How do you avoid trapping bobcats? Wouldn't they get into your traps when going for foxes? 

Incidentals happen, it is what it is. I have a long list of species that were incidental catches.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."