IGNORED

Deer Driving Debate

BowhunterNJ

I've been hunting with a small, ethical, mannerly club in Greenwood, Wharton and Bass River since the late 70's and we do 1/2 day driving and 1/2 day stands Monday-Thursday and all stands Friday and Saturday.  It is what it is.  Driving clubs are a tradition and should not be banned.

Just now, SJ ED said:

I've been hunting with a small, ethical, mannerly club in Greenwood, Wharton and Bass River since the late 70's and we do 1/2 day driving and 1/2 day stands Monday-Thursday and all stands Friday and Saturday.  It is what it is.  Driving clubs are a tradition and should not be banned.

What club are you with?  I'm with earlins

48 minutes ago, Pathman said:

The “baners” and their screaming and whining and pulling the tyrant routine by immediately suggesting banning because they don’t agree with tactics of others, that’s where I fall, how about you? 

Well I don't think drives should be banned, if that's what you're wondering,  but it should be pretty clear in the pages preceding this one what I think. If you can't figure it out after all that, I dont think any more typing by me is going to help you.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Just now, DV1 said:

Well I don't think drives should be banned, if that's what you're wondering,  but it should be pretty clear in the pages preceding this one what I think. If you can't figure it out after all that, I dont think any more typing by me is going to help you.

What’s your problem? I made no beef with anyone in particular, and I’m not going back to reread what you said, it’s not that important. 
I made a general statement, it speaks for itself, I shouldn’t have to explain it! 

34 minutes ago, Pathman said:

What’s your problem? I made no beef with anyone in particular, and I’m not going back to reread what you said, it’s not that important. 
I made a general statement, it speaks for itself, I shouldn’t have to explain it! 

I dont have a problem, let's not make it personal. 

I agree, you didn't call out anyone in particular,  and that was kind of my point by saying your statement could apply to either side equally. 

I asked you where fall in the spectrum between the 2 extremes. You seem to have answered "with the banners and their screaming and whining...", which is a bit confusing but so be it. 

You asked me where I stand, I said I don't want drives banned, but for more on what I think, I already posted it a few pages back.

Am I missing something here that leads you to think I have a problem with you, because that's not the case. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

7 minutes ago, DV1 said:

I dont have a problem, let's not make it personal. 

I agree, you didn't call out anyone in particular,  and that was kind of my point by saying your statement could apply to either side equally. 

I asked you where fall in the spectrum between the 2 extremes. You seem to have answered "with the banners and their screaming and whining...", which is a bit confusing but so be it. 

You asked me where I stand, I said I don't want drives banned, but for more on what I think, I already posted it a few pages back.

Am I missing something here that leads you to think I have a problem with you, because that's not the case. 

Only this part of your statement ,“If you can't figure it out after all that, I dont think any more typing by me is going to help you.”

Sounded very condescending, maybe it’s a  case of getting lost in translation when texting, if so, we’re all Good. 

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

You call a CO ?

Texted one I know down here just like I have in past when I find stuff dumped and people are dumb enough to have their names and addresses on crap they decide WMAs are the county land fill. Granted, not sure what they can do at this point. 

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

That's like blaming cross bow hunters for that guy nb caught poaching. What about deer hit by cars missing heads?  If it was a deer gang it probably wasn't a club.  Clubs I know would report that person and probably their own mother if they pulled that.

So if it truly was did you 

Call a warden.

Someone taking the head off a road kill deer is frankly embarrassing, I am not sure how someone could willingly do that and do what with it? Claim they shot it? Have it as a keep sake, for what? I couldn't look at the rack/head of a deer knowing how I acquired it if it weren't through hunting and it's illegal. I wouldn't even pick up a dead head if it were legal. I think we can agree on that. Now, someone deliberately shooting a deer and willingly violating wanton waste laws just shooting a deer for head and doing nothing with the meat, let alone leaving it visible in a WMA parking lot. I would choose that guy get crucified 100 times over the goober thinking he's a hero for taking the head off a road kill deer. I think we'd probably agree on that too? And like I said, in my opinion, you do not see this stuff during any other part of the hunting season so regularly. I'm not sitting here saying people don't bend and break rules throughout the season, we all know that occurs and they should all be handled accordingly. But those events are mostly singular in nature. I see it, we see it, and we hear about it every darn year 6-day and doe days like clockwork. And when you talk about optics, sorry but in the public eye, the club aspect of deer hunting does not shine a brine light on the hunting community. That is undeniable and we could debate that all we want, but they don't. In the hunting community, I'm sure some are great, some are meh, some suck. But, that applies to all things and walks of life. As a general consensus, the data speaks for itself. Hunting clubs' image in the public eye is equally as unpalatable as antis, that's a fact. And when people come across this stuff following 6-day, they aren't going to think of you out in the woods or me out in the woods who they don't see, they are going to extrapolate to all hunters and hunting clubs being that way because when is the one time of year they often actually see hunters out.... 

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

So we should ban cross bows because poachers were caught with crossbows

What's funny you raise this question, if you have actually took in anything I've posted in this entire debate, I have never once mentioned banning anything. I've brought up my opinions several times on the topic and supported my points with fact and experience, but I have not once outright said we need to ban this or ban that. 

3 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What happens when two clubs show up to drive the same area at the same time or a club plans to drive an area (maybe invested a lot of time/effort in planning) but another club shows up before them?  :eek:

Both have the same privilege to hunt there (similar to club vs pot hunter).  Does one club just say the other club isn't ruining anything for their club, they'll just hunt it later and have the same or better opportunity just as pot hunters would?

That's unsafe usually last club to piece would go elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, Pathman said:

Only this part of your statement ,“If you can't figure it out after all that, I dont think any more typing by me is going to help you.”

Sounded very condescending, maybe it’s a  case of getting lost in translation when texting, if so, we’re all Good. 

Maybe it was a little salty because you asked me where I stand on the issue and I had literally typed plenty on that in the previous pages, and didn't feel like typing any more. I though if you had read it, you would know..

On 12/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, chenrossi said:

Sad part is surely someone isn’t too who actually was hunting that deer right this season, only for it to get shot by someone who had 0 time invested until Monday morning

1. Two sides to this. The Archer had plenty of time to harvest his, "target" deer but obviously couldn't get the job done  and I could care a less about drives or gun hunting in NJ but I will definitely not discount anyone taking game however they want to if it is something they enjoy.

2. This sounds nothing more like than someone is butt hurt because, "their", buck got shot.

3. Could you explain in to me what hunting something right means? Do  X-guns, cellular trail cameras, and corn piles fit into that description?

4. It is also a generalization to say that anyone that drives deer doesn't put the time in.  

5. NJ deer drives are nothing. If you want to see total chaos go to Iowa for buck week and see what goes on. 

Edited by fish_hunter
add a number

19 hours ago, NotJust22s said:

Wow, is posting pic on a forum what makes you a real hunter? That is a sad statement my friend. I guess I also fall in that category. I’ve takes more different species of big game in more places then most guys ever dream of, but don’t post pics. I guess I’m not a real hunter by todays standards. 

And I am dam proud of that. Thank you 

I don’t think that’s what gman was getting at at all. He was questioning his stance based off of a lack of participation on this forum as it relates to hunting /fishing etc. Doesn’t necessarily have to revolve around pictures. Not on the rug explained his side and was quickly resolved. Fair to say we have plenty of key board outdoor experts on here that provide nothing to the forum but certainly claim otherwise. Forums only exist with active participation which may take a little effort to post a story or a picture but that’s what makes it fun and entertaining. Forum participation in whole is in decline because it’s easier for everyone to just stare at pictures on social media. Why not share your experiences or pics? Sounds like you have been on some great trips.