IGNORED

The Worst Shot

NJNewbie

Went out for a second time this year sat. First time out only had 1 come in range and I missed.

Now this past Sat was a different story. Ducks were flying, I had divers flying through my spread all morning and puddle ducks and divers in the afternoon. For the most part it was non stop action. 

I shot nearly an entire box of shells, and didn't hit 1 duck.

Almost all ducks were within 30-40 yards, the divers I was pass shooting as they flew through my decoys. The puddle ducks seemed to fly higher and circle a few times. I never got any of them to fully commit and land in the decs, usually after the 2nd circle they would either be in range or would fly off. 

I've been out pheasant hunting a few times this year and I'm 5/6 on pheasants. Also shot skeet a few times and always did alright. 

I'm not sure if its the motion of the boat that's throwing me off(rocks when I stand to shoot), or the additional jackets, or maybe I just suck! 

Been using the same #4 federal steel shot all year but cant seem to connect since duck season started. Maybe I just need some more practice. 

If you dont have any advice, at least have a good laugh. 

12 minutes ago, NJNewbie said:

I shot nearly an entire box of shells, and didn't hit 1 duck.

That sounds like me a couple weeks ago on the ocean hunting sea ducks :rofl:

Here's a tip - get a ShotKam. And you can see where you are missing. I found out after reviewing the videos that during the sea duck hunt, I was consistently shooting high (WAY high). I would never have thought it without seeing the videos. (The boat rocking in the waves didn't help either.)

ShotKam has their annual black friday sale now... 150 off. Sale ends tonight. I am not a paid spokesman :) but ShotKam does help those of us who suck and need to know where we are missing so we can adjust. https://shotkam.com/

Much different than shooting pheasant. You are most likely not leading the birds enough and also the swing/follow through portion of the shot is extremely important as well. I would guess you are shooting behind most of the birds also make sure your range is accurate and you aren’t sky busting expecting to get Something. 

Shoot sitting down, your adding more motion when you stand, 40 yards way too far, at that distance with #4 unless you break a wing they will keep flying, I am sure some flew off and died, steel isn’t like lead, it doesn’t have the knockdown and killing power, not even close to the same. 30 yards is pushing it under 25 is best , trust me I have hunted a lot of waterfowl, got to learn how to o them in closer weather it be your setup, decoys, decoy line, your face, boat etc. there is something they are staying away from if they aren’t committing every time, 

Sounds like you need to get them in closer. If you’re calling to them, stop.  Keep your face hidden and possibly try hunting somewhere you can just stand in the phragmites and keep the boat stowed well away from you. From the videos that boat isn’t quite going to cut it most of the time for puddle ducks. For buffies try just throwing out a half dozen bufflehead decoys and nothing else. Keep them at 15 yards away. 

5 hours ago, rgw said:

Shoot sitting down, your adding more motion when you stand, 40 yards way too far, at that distance with #4 unless you break a wing they will keep flying, I am sure some flew off and died, steel isn’t like lead, it doesn’t have the knockdown and killing power, not even close to the same. 30 yards is pushing it under 25 is best , trust me I have hunted a lot of waterfowl, got to learn how to o them in closer weather it be your setup, decoys, decoy line, your face, boat etc. there is something they are staying away from if they aren’t committing every time, 

This is some great advice, especially if starting out. I consider myself a pretty good shot and still will pass on birds at that 30 yard mark and out. I want them close for the sure kill. I am not good enough to consistently kill passing birds at 40 yards. Most will not be clean kills and maybe cripples if at all. It’s just not worth it. Get them in closer and your success rate will sky rocket. 

Lots of good advice already!  Only thing I'd add is to practice shooting how you actually hunt.  For instance I hunt mostly from a sneakbox or layout blind so I'll go to the range and shoot clays sitting in a turkey chair or sometimes a beach chair.  

1 hour ago, Bubblehead said:

Sounds like you need to get them in closer. If you’re calling to them, stop.  Keep your face hidden and possibly try hunting somewhere you can just stand in the phragmites and keep the boat stowed well away from you. From the videos that boat isn’t quite going to cut it most of the time for puddle ducks. For buffies try just throwing out a half dozen bufflehead decoys and nothing else. Keep them at 15 yards away. 

Appreciate all the advice, yes I am just starting out, first season ever, luckily I've had some help along the way.

Im not calling and have been trying to keep my face hidden but could likely do a better job. 

The first two videos I posted are with the blind down. When you put the scissor blind up it hides pretty well. Grass is a mix of natural and Jstern. Here is a video of when I first grassed it with the blind up.