IGNORED

Son's 1st Muzzleloader deer!

LPJR

This started last year on the 2014 Youth Shotgun morning. My son, who was 10,  was shooting 20 gauge buckshot, which patterned well before the season. He shot a 1/2 rack buck at 25 yards through several saplings and we never recovered the deer. I looked for days. No blood, hair, anything. Since that shot, we decided to only go with the Savage 220 slug gun for gun season or the muzzleloader. He practiced with both at the farm down the road over the summer with me, becoming quite proficient.

Fast forward to this season about 3 weeks ago. While checking the trail camera where we lost the buck, I was shocked what I saw. Out of the blue appeared a nice buck with a broken front leg. Upon closer inspection of the pics it looked as if the deer's rear end was roughed up as well. Only pics were at night, not 1 during the day. Only 1 week ago, the deer appeared again at night, however both antlers were now gone! I believe it shed early due to the injury, not sure. We both discussed the scenario if the deer should appear while we were together in the blind that it would get a pass. My son and I both agreed.  Until tonight.........

I asked my son if he wanted to go in the blind before dark when he got home from school. He said, you know, I have a good feeling about tonight, let's go. Now this is coming from an 11 year old who has seen ZERO deer in the last 7 sits with me, lol. We got dressed and headed out. On the way we talked about hopefully seeing deer on their feet earlier, with the colder temperatures. The shed buck came up and again we again agreed that it gets a pass, although I have had not 1 daytime pic of the deer.

The muzzy was set up on the field pod and we were set. Many times when we have went out we joke back and forth pretend there is a deer and say "here's one!" and then go back to relaxing or playing with the games on the phones, lol. We have a "code word" that when if said, means I am not kidding, get ready. It is "pineapple" for whatever reason we came up with that when we first sat in the woods since he was a toddler.

At about 4:50 tonight I look up the mountain and see a deer. Immediately I say "Pineapple, get ready buddy."  Well, it is the broken leg shed buck. As soon as we saw it move our hearts sank. Not because we knew it was the buck that shed his antlers, but for the way the deer was truly having the most difficult time taking each and every step. This was the 1st time we have seen the deer in person (if it is the buck from last year.) Not only could the deer not put his right leg down, but with each step his back legs would "buckle" and at one point the deer almost fell. I could see that the rear end on the side of the broken leg was disturbed as well, but could not make out the issue. Christopher looked at me, looked back at the deer, then looked back at me again.

He said, "Dad, I know we were going to give this buck a pass, but I do not feel right seeing him in so much pain." I then told him that I had no idea the deer was in such bad shape, only seeing still pics of him on the camera. We talked about it and collectively guessed that since last year he may have been struck by a car, as there is a busy highway less than 300 yards from where we were set up.

He composed himself and settled the crosshairs. At 50 yards, the deer was down within 10 yards of where he stood. The emotions and feelings we felt in the blind are ones I hope never, ever are lost.  

Close inspection of the deer revealed that he not only had the broken right front leg, which had become somewhat calcified, but numerous other injuries. The mark on the rear hindquarter was a missing patch of hair with a huge cut found under the skin. Upon beginning to field dress the deer, we discovered a very large opening under the right rear leg that appeared to opened several times after healing over. Further, several ribs appeared broken inside on the right side.

After all said and done, I truly think my son made the right decision. On the way to the butcher, he said that in a way he thinks he "helped the deer." Only a true hunter and outdoorsman or outdoorswoman  knows what that means. I know he is right.

Apologies for the novel, however I could literally not be more proud of my son than at that moment.

msg-1044-0-51740200-1452183295.jpg 

PART_1452129780219_20160106_171146.jpeg

msg-1044-0-12359600-1452183295.jpg

msg-1044-0-25760900-1452183296.jpg

msg-1044-0-56057500-1452183296.jpg

Edited by LPJR

A huge congratulations to Christopher from A&W Nature Labs on his first deer with the muzzleloader!  He has been putting in his time and we knew he would get it done this season!

We have been following Christopher's quest to get a deer this season and could not be happier for him and his (as we imagine) very proud father.

In our minds he made an excellent and very mature decision to put that deer down.  Kudos to him for that and to you for raising such a responsible young man!

Now, take some time to celebrate, relive and enjoy!

Website - www.awnaturelabs.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/awnature
Twitter - www.twitter.com/awnaturelabs
Instagram - www.instagram.com/awnaturelabs
Blogger - awnaturelabs.blogspot.com

That is a great story congrats to you and your son. I can't wait for my sons to be old enough to hunt must be a great feeling to be able to share the excitement with him.

There is NOTHING in the world like it I promise you! Thanks!

A huge congratulations to Christopher from A&W Nature Labs on his first deer with the muzzleloader!  He has been putting in his time and we knew he would get it done this season!

We have been following Christopher's quest to get a deer this season and could not be happier for him and his (as we imagine) very proud father.

In our minds he made an excellent and very mature decision to put that deer down.  Kudos to him for that and to you for raising such a responsible young man!

Now, take some time to celebrate, relive and enjoy!

Thanks so much for the support. Pinch Point has truly tilted the odds in our favor this season. Colder temps + Pinch Point is a great combination! :up:  :up:

Edited by LPJR

Thanks so much for the support. Pinch Point has truly tilted the odds in our favor this season. Colder temps + Pinch Point is a great combination! :up:  :up:

That is really great to hear! 

We love to hear this stuff from our great customers!

Website - www.awnaturelabs.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/awnature
Twitter - www.twitter.com/awnaturelabs
Instagram - www.instagram.com/awnaturelabs
Blogger - awnaturelabs.blogspot.com

A mature young hunter beyond his tender years.

Congratulations to Christopher  :up: 

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member