IGNORED

Packing out meat

NorthJerseyMike

10 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

The regs are clear on that. First, there is no distinction made as to where it was taken when it comes to wanton waste - "It is unlawful for any hunter to harvest any game animal and ... leave the edible portions of the carcass and meat to waste except for a furbearer, crow or woodchuck." So it makes no distinction where you killed the animal - private or public - it simply says you can't leave edible portions to waste. So that's the edible meat. But I think we all knew you couldn't dump that. The question was about the rest of the carcass (if you quartered it, can you legally leave the spine, ribs, etc.?) That's answered in the next paragraph (and what DFW clarified in their email). Regs say: "It is unlawful ... to dispose of a game animal ... on public or private property without the permission of the owner .... or on any wildlife management area or state park." So you can't do it on ANY land (public OR private) without permission from the owner. And they specifically call out that state parks and WMAs are a "no".

Well then, the law IS different for public vs private then. You can't do it on public, period. You can on private with permission. 

12 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Well then, the law IS different for public vs private then. You can't do it on public, period. You can on private with permission. 

Remember, there are different public entities - state, county, township, etc. So, for example, I could envision being allowed to leave a carcass on county or township public land if you have permission from the county or township officials (and here I'm thinking of county or township-run deer hunts - they can allow it on their own lands). But yes, STATE public lands (WMAs, state parks/forests) you can't dump the carcasses.

20 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Remember, there are different public entities - state, county, township, etc. So, for example, I could envision being allowed to leave a carcass on county or township public land if you have permission from the county or township officials (and here I'm thinking of county or township-run deer hunts - they can allow it on their own lands). But yes, STATE public lands (WMAs, state parks/forests) you can't dump the carcasses.

If there was no difference in laws for different types of land then there would be no need for a Wonton Waste Law. Since the "whole" carcass must be removed from some public lands, the wanton waste law doesn't really apply. The rules for that particular piece of land applies. 

13 minutes ago, archer36 said:

If there was no difference in laws for different types of land then there would be no need for a Wonton Waste Law. Since the "whole" carcass must be removed from some public lands, the wanton waste law doesn't really apply. The rules for that particular piece of land applies. 

You're getting the wanton waste law mixed up with the law about leaving a carcas.  They are separate, but published together.  Wanton waste has to do with consumption of all edible parts of a deer specified in their diagram.  The law about leaving a carcass in the woods has nothing to do with wanton waste of the meat but was added in at the same time to stop carcasses from being dumped on public grounds.  Wanton waste applies to every deer that is taken on any grounds

Edited by Greybeard

34 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Type of land has no bearing on wanton waste.  If you bring a deer with the shoulders not butchered to the dump or a turkey with just the breaststroke cut out and a warden sees you you can be charged.  

5 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Type of land has no bearing on wanton waste.  If you bring a deer with the shoulders not butchered to the dump or a turkey with just the breaststroke cut out and a warden sees you you can be charged.  

Read my previous post before you think you are telling me something I don't know and stop wasting my time. I never said anything about a "dump". :happywave:

Edited by archer36

5 hours ago, Greybeard said:

You're getting the wanton waste law mixed up with the law about leaving a carcas.  They are separate, but published together.  Wanton waste has to do with consumption of all edible parts of a deer specified in their diagram.  The law about leaving a carcass in the woods has nothing to do with wanton waste of the meat but was added in at the same time to stop carcasses from being dumped on public grounds.  Wanton waste applies to every deer that is taken on any grounds

I am not confused. Your interpretation of my post is. 

You can still remove a carcass from the land (private or public) and not utilize all the parts your required to do so thus the wanton waste law. I think it’s silly how they say to be discrete with a gut pile.  First off the pile is gone within 24 hours max and secondly it is hunting land after all.    

23 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Read my previous post before you think you are telling me something I don't know and stop wasting my time. I never said anything about a "dump". :happywave:

I know that.  The dump reference was to wanton waste.  If you kill a deer on your property butcher take to dump with shoulders in tact you will be charged eith wanton waste the sane as If you left it on your land or state.  Wanton waste has no bearing on private or public.  Leaving anything but entrails does 

6 hours ago, archer36 said:

You said wanton waste dosnt apply because carcas is removed.  Wanton waste has nothing to do with removal over the carcas.  You are confusing wanton waste with leaving a carcass you say it right in this post

Edited by vdep217

Something to consider. Adding that weight to your pack increases the risk of an injury to yourself with every step. Im not arguing either way drag or pack out, bc I really don’t care what anyone else does. Just think about the gear you carry in. Then think about the added weight of the meat. It isn’t a lot in theory, but every slip or misstep opens you up to mechanical injury. We aren’t hunting elk in the Rockies. Most are hunting deer in a backyard. Keep it simple. 

11 hours ago, vdep217 said:

You said wanton waste dosnt apply because carcas is removed.  Wanton waste has nothing to do with removal over the carcas.  You are confusing wanton waste with leaving a carcass you say it right in this post

Give it up.  He won't get it.  He has a closed mind just like in political posts.  

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Give it up.  He won't get it.  He has a closed mind just like in political posts.  

You are pitiful. If you have something derogatory to say about me, respond to me directly. Since I haven't participated in any political thread since they were removed from the main page, I see you hold grudges. :down:

Edited by archer36

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

Just drag to the road and put it in your truck.  WTF am I reading….

Was thinking the same thing. In 48 years of deer hunting, I’ve neither seen nor heard of a deer that one man couldn’t field dress and drag out himself. Not even once.  If you want to practice quartering out a whitetail and packing it out ahead of an elk or moose trip, then have at it. Good practice. But in no way is it needed.