IGNORED

Tenpoint Havoc ....Kaboom !!!

BHC

Glad you weren’t hurt.  Something like happened to me years ago but with a Parker Tornado while I was discharging the bolt. The string broke and cam wizzed by cheek.  Took it to Simon Peter. They fixed it and said it was perfect. I traded it in for a Tenpoint. 

Crossbows do not just "blow up". Most of the time, it's operator error that leads to malfunctions. The first and only time I had an issue with a string breaking on a crossbow was with my first. A Horton Vision 175. Since then I have had 6 crossbows and never had a string failure. One thing is certain, if the arrow is not firmly seated against the string, a partial or full "dry fire" will occur and cause string failure. 

It happens too often for it to be defects and you usually hear "it was only the third or fourth shot". This is why manufacturers usually do not do warranty work for such issues. 

Make sure your nocks are aligned, you have the correct nock, arrows firmly seated, and recheck the position of arrows as you move the crossbow around. 

In the case of a new bow, the strings and cables should be free from defects. With older bows, they have to be inspected daily for signs of failure. 

Edited by archer36

5 minutes ago, BHC said:

I didn't have a bolt on yet, after cocking it I placed the crossbow on the table, bent down to get a bolt and that's when it went KABOOM

That's why I said, "most of the time". Your string/cables could have been weakened from the prior shot if the arrow was loaded improperly. Who knows. Hope everything works out. 

Edited by archer36

Problem with this cross bow is that it is very easy for the bolt to slide out and not be seated correctly for the shot. This can damage or weekend your strings/cables. Another problem is that the trigger mechanism does not fit properly in its final position and you need back crank it to correct this obvious design issue. I had this bow and sold it after few hunts because it had too many problems iMO