IGNORED

New Jersey Pheasant Hunt.

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2023 at 10:52 PM, ScottD204 said:

any reason why?? I am going for my first time ever this year.

Be safe and enjoy. My advice would be to avoid large groups and maybe linger back and watch a group or 2 go first and see what you can potentially be dealing with as a first timer. I am no way discouraging you from going. Just be aware you’re hunting birds that give hunters a quick response or trigger finger and you don’t know any of those guys personally.  I’ve always hunted black river without an dog and did well prior to their stocking allotment change.   But I’ve seen some wild stuff.  Guys diving to avoid getting shot by some idiot as a bird flies 5’ off the ground between 2 groups. Get some pants meant for briars and stop away and have fun. And remember it’s just a stocked bird no sense getting hurt or hurting someone else for it.  Be sure of your target and beyond. 

5 hours ago, ScottD204 said:

oh great thanks. Its exactly where I was going to go.

Ok .. I've never pheasant hunted Colliers Mill... I hunt stocked WMAs that are more south... So I do not have personal experience there. But just do a search here for "Colliers pheasant" and listen to those who have hunted there. Click here:

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/search/?&q=Colliers pheasant &search_and_or=and

Not trying to scare you ... Inform you? Yes. Warn you? Mmmmm... Maybe:happy:

Click that link above and the first result is "someone got shot in the face at colliers" :wacko: ... read some of the other results.

Colliers Mill is not the WMA I would recommend new pheasant hunters to try, particularly on stocking days. It's probably ok in the weekday afternoons, and most likely ok on non-stocking days.

Once you get your feet wet, know what to expect, how to hunt, then maybe try it. Just go to another WMA to start off with... the reputation of Colliers Mill seems well-earned based on everything I read just here in these forums. And it is not at all the pheasant hunting experience you can expect on most other stocked WMAs.

On any stocking day, there will be TONS of pressure and hordes of people out on just about all the state stocked WMA areas.  If you think Colliers is bad, you should try Clinton or Assunpink. 

The good news is that by 11 o'clock  just about everybody is gone from most of the areas.  I have, in years past, hunted Clinton, Colliers, Assunpink, Greenwood Forest and a few others in the afternoon and virtually had the place to myself.   I am fairly sure that has not changed.  Many of the folks you will see in the afternoons will be hunting with dogs and they will usually tend to avoid others. 

The recommendation to wear briar pants and coat(and a good pair of leather gloves)  is spot on  because any pheasants that are left are going to be in the thick stuff.   I also used to wear a boonie type hat so that when I went into the briars, I could put one hand on top of the hat and the hat brim would protect my ears. 

Oh and if you see a single hunter with a dog or two, especially if it is a pointing breed, don't be afraid to ask if you could  just tag along and watch.  Pointing dog folks tend to want to show off their dogs, and you just might be invited to come along to watch.   You might even be given the opportunity to get a shot.

RayG

Edited by Raygubernat

3 hours ago, Sharpdogs said:

Check the The Hunts Family Preserve huntsfamilypreserve.com. I go a couple of times a year.

Their rates are VERY reasonable for a single hunter.  A 3 bird minimum makes it quite affordable I think.

Never been there but have heard nice things about them.  If you can swing it, a guide and a dog is the way to go.  You won't regret hunting over a nice dog.

RayG