IGNORED

20 Ga for ducks?

Stamps

Does the 20 gauge really have what it takes for ducks and geese? I can use 3” if it makes a difference. I shoot 12ga 3” steel but I really like my 20 gauges. Is it just a matter of pattern or do I need the umph of a 12ga? 

Ballistically speaking there is no difference between a number 6 pellet flying at 1500fps from a 12 ga or a 20ga. The only difference is pellet count. If you can get enough pellets to penetrate deep enough into the right parts of the duck it doesn’t matter if it came from a 12 or 20. 

A 20 is fine for ducks. On geese, you have to be disciplined. Only decoying/close shots. I wouldn't shoot over 35 yds with steel. The issue is the size of the shot. They don't make shot with BB pellets for a 20 ga so you are using much smaller pellets and they lose energy at long ranges. Even if they made BB for 20 ga, you wouldn't get many pellets in it. If using lead substitutes, that will increase your effective range. I never used lead subs because I felt they were too expensive. I used a 3.5", 12 ga with steel BB or BBB for geese. Very effective out to 50 yds. 

So, for ducks, no problem. For geese, I would use lead substitutes and be very judicious on your shots. That stuff is expensive. 

Edited by archer36

25 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

All my buddies run 20 gauges. Only reason I run a 12 is because it’s what I have. Most of em out shoot me too lol 

I only shoot 3.5 because if I run out I can use anyone's shells if my buddies run out they beat lol

11 minutes ago, archer36 said:

A 20 is fine for ducks. On geese, you have to be disciplined. Only decoying/close shots. I wouldn't shoot over 35 yds with steel. The issue is the size of the shot. They don't make shot with BB pellets for a 20 ga so you are using much smaller pellets and they lose energy at long ranges. If using lead substitutes, that will increase your effective range. I never used lead subs because I felt they were too expensive. I used a 3.5", 12 ga with steel BB or BBB for geese. Very effective out to 50 yds. 

So, for ducks, no problem. For geese, I would use lead substitutes and be very judicious on your shots. That stuff is expensive. 

After market chokes for the conditions you intend to hunt greatly reduce cripples as well.  Decoying geese at 30 yrds with 20guage steel and a carlson creamator is deadly.  I will also add that with a 20 using an extended range tube and keeping shots under 35 yrds is a huge advantage you just have to be on the gun

Edited by vdep217

4 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

After market chokes for the conditions you intend to hunt greatly reduce cripples as well.  Decoying geese at 30 yrds with 20guage steel and a carlson creamator is deadly

That's why I said 35 yds. Agree on aftermarket chokes. I've been using a Pattermaster Classic Extended Range choke for about 20 years. 

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

That's why I said 35 yds. Agree on aftermarket chokes. I've been using a Pattermaster Classic Extended Range choke for about 20 years. 

Pattern master is a great tube and has its place.  The classic is designed for larger steel bb and up.  There are so many better options today for the smaller steel 4s and 2s.

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

Pattern master is a great tube and has its place.  The classic is designed for larger steel bb and up.  There are so many better options today for the smaller steel 4s and 2s.

I said I use it for BB and BBB on geese. So, you are telling me something I already know. The smallest steel shot I would use for geese is #1. BB is what I would use most. :hmmmer:

I have a friend who shoots a 20ga for pheasant... he out-shoots everyone, even those with 12ga. He's a great shot. I bet he would be great with that 20ga of his for duck hunting. I should ask him why he doesn't use that for ducks.

Another advantage is it is a lighter gun to carry for when you have to hike through the woods to get to spots.

47 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I have a friend who shoots a 20ga for pheasant... he out-shoots everyone, even those with 12ga. He's a great shot. I bet he would be great with that 20ga of his for duck hunting. I should ask him why he doesn't use that for ducks.

Another advantage is it is a lighter gun to carry for when you have to hike through the woods to get to spots.

That's why for quail I use 410.  Long walks light gun.  I have been using it for pheasant to