IGNORED

Splitrock Goes to Saint Lawrence River!

Just got back from my trip to Saint Lawrence River.  I had this trip planned for months with a buddy of mine.  He canceled on me a few days before.   I checked the weather forecast and it showed rain and thunder storms every day.  I was a few seconds away from canceling the whole trip.  Finally I decided I would just go, worst case i stay inside and watch fishing videos lol.

The drive up was downpours.  Overall I had good weather, only got drizzled on for a few hours, and the smoke was not too fun but I was super lucky given what the original forecast said.

I fished the river near Clayton, and then did one day in Massena.  I also hired a guide on Lake Ontario for one day and that turned out to be a bust.  I only caught 3 fish in 8 hours.  But one of them was the best fish of the trip.

I was able to find some shallow spots with swift currents, spot lock my boat trolling motor, and I was catching a ton of medium sized fish.

Glad I went for sure!!  Here are some random pics of a few fish i caught

IMG20230627144925.jpg

IMG20230627115408.jpg

IMG20230627151537.jpg

IMG20230627183225.jpg

IMG20230628150534.jpg

IMG_20230629_195751.jpg

IMG20230630132354.jpg

IMG20230630185743.jpg

IMG20230630190754.jpg

Edited by splitrockoutdoors

Nice! I did exactly as you did many many times, go on the chance that the weather forecast is wrong, and many times they were I would not have done half the good stuff I did in my lifetime if I listened to them and stayed home!!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

13 minutes ago, Pathman said:

How would you compare the action to Champlain area rivers?

If you find a good spot in Saint Lawrence, the cast to hookup ratio is unnoticeably different.  BUT, it can take forever to find a good spot in Saint Lawrence because of how vast an area it is.

Also I do like being in a boat as opposed to shore fishing.  

I am hoping to take a guided trip on Champlain with your outfitter depending on how my deer season is going in the fall.  I loved the lodge atmosphere 

I’m going up to the St. Lawrence soon, I’ve been going up there every year for many years.  All I do is find a shoal anchor and fish between 20 and 40 feet straight down with nightcrawlers.   Throw a couple feet of anchor, rope periodically to move your position slightly. One fish after the other many times, and some big.

IMG_9486.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

IMG_3589.jpeg

Cool pictures!

Met your boy at Ricks woodcutting party,

Very respectable young man,glad to see he's in college, going to have to fight a lot of girls off wearing them shorts.lol 🇺🇸

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt