IGNORED

Povidone Iodine for tick bite?

Available over the counter at Walmart as "equate first aid antiseptic".   I am not a sponsor, this substance (10% povidone iodine)  has widespread availability.

It is recommended by many sources to apply povidone iodine solution to the tick bite area after proper removal of the tick.  The recommended application is that of a "scrub"  rather than concentrate application. 

I suggest applying the iodine in concentrated form to the skin in a circle covering the bite area.  Only a few drops are needed for this.  Allow the iodine to dry on your skin.   This procedure is done twice a day for two days.

Povidone iodine is has been proven to penetrate skin layers and kill pathogens.  Will it prevent tick borne illness from getting started?  In my humble opinion it is worth a shot and has been working for me.

• 8 months later...

Picked up my first tick in the outdoors of Sussex county this week.  They haven't been that bad around here so far.  This one had been embedded for around 24 hours so I did the iodine smear over the area  (about a 5 inch circle of smeared and dried povidone iodine around the bite) after I removed it.  So far so good.

I am aware there is not always a rash however I seem to be particularly susceptible to getting the rash prior to the flu-like symptoms.

As a side note, my 87 year old Dad never had any problems taking the  doxycycline for lyme symptoms, so no worries there if you need to take a full course of it. 

Time to get out the spray can of permethrin i guess.

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Ticks transfer a spirochete directly into your bloodstream after 48-72 hours. Iodine on your skin will do nothing to kill the spirochetes, that job lies with a round of Doxycycline.  

Even less than 48 in some cases.  If more than 24 and it's embedded deep, I get a blood test.  Docs have put me on enough doxycycline for 5-6 days until the bloodwork came back.  Would have extended it to 2 weeks if positive.. Best to get on meds as soon as possible and don't mess around with something dangerous like lymes with home remedies.

If you are getting bit or embedded on a routine basis, you might want to ramp up your preventive measures

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, Silkcitymedic said:

Read this book. It is very interesting to say the least. Nothing can be 100% confirmed but it contains interviews of people who were working on tick based projects.

https://a.co/d/69mLnFv

The infamous plum island facility closed down decades ago but there are still  numerous bioweapon production facilities operating worldwide in an effort to develop pathogens used as agents in the destruction of livestock and of humanity.  They want us dead.

10% povidone iodine is one useful tool in the fight against lyme disease that when deployed properly and in a timely manner can stop the spirochete before it proliferates into your bloodstream.   Iodine kills the spirochete.  If it has spread to your bloodstream it is because it has multiplied locally from a dirty tick bite.

In the not too distant past one couldn't get a doctor to proscribe doxycycline without a positive test.   When faced with future medicine shortages due to import restrictions during war It will pay to have an edge and in this case that edge is 10% povidone iodine.

38 minutes ago, tick trawler said:

The infamous plum island facility closed down decades ago but there are still  numerous bioweapon production facilities operating worldwide in an effort to develop pathogens used as agents in the destruction of livestock and of humanity.  They want us dead.

10% povidone iodine is one useful tool in the fight against lyme disease that when deployed properly and in a timely manner can stop the spirochete before it proliferates into your bloodstream.   Iodine kills the spirochete.  If it has spread to your bloodstream it is because it has multiplied locally from a dirty tick bite.

In the not too distant past one couldn't get a doctor to proscribe doxycycline without a positive test.   When faced with future medicine shortages due to import restrictions during war It will pay to have an edge and in this case that edge is 10% povidone iodine.

I never once had a Dr. refuse me a Doxy dose when I removed a tick that I didn’t know when it dug into me. And I only ever bothered to have one tested. It was positive for Lyme’s, but same Doxycycline regimen he told me. I have never had it and plan to keep it that way.