IGNORED

Best Shells For Bear ?

Ms Grit

My last Jersey bear I killed was with a copper solid. 50 yard shot in the shoulder and it rolled over and died. I just got back an hour ago from the range to make sure my slug gun and copper solids are still on...they are. I have a 400+ pound boar on my baits and if he shows up next week, he's gonna get a copper slug for breakfast.

Get a box and see how they pattern in your gun...they are excellent bear rounds.

Opportunity expands in proportion to one's courage.

i have shot a number of deer with the Copper Solids. both, old version and new.

the old ruined so much meat. but dead is dead.

the new style didn't have the 4 petals break off from the slug. but the OD of the slug is bigger. big hole.

you will not be sorry shooting a bear or deer with copper solids. 

they do kick.

if i carry my slug gun, it has copper solids in them .

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

And where did you hit it?

I've hit them broad side shoulder, quartering to shoulder and the neck. All didn't go far. My new hampshire guide this year swore that middle middle was the best shot for bear. I haven't tried it yet but he had 100's of pics with bears shot middle middle

Don't change now -- Use whatever slug you are comfortable shooting now -- Accuracy is way more important

Any slug at 40 yards will have enough snot to take out a bear -- Breath, squeeze, follow thru -- try to think about watching the slug hit the bear through the scope

You wanna send me your user name and password? lol

Robin,

Lots of free sites for tax maps.  Check this NJ Highlands Council site:  http://map.njhighlands.us/njhighlands/hgis/

Just put in the address you know like the one you are hunting at and it shows boundaries.  You can do it via Google Earth image so you see the terrain and not just the road map version.  The map is currently not loading, but I'm sure it is an update as it is normally working fine.  

I use this one :     State of NJ - Tax List Search

Find your property using the county, town in the upper left corner then go to the upper right corned and click "base maps"

Chose the 2012 aerial and you'll get the property lines laid over an aerial view --hopefully it's a winter view for you with no leaves on the trees

When I shot and practiced with both, using a shooting stick I was 2-3 inches off dead center with the Remington AccuTips, better than with the Hornady's 

What distance was the target?  In any case, either will do.  You do not need precision, just accuracy.  At 30-40 yards your shooting should find the heart.

I like Hornady's stuff, but shoot the accuTips as well.

Are you shooting iron sights or scope?

Lastly, if you will be shooting from a treestand, at a large angle, have you practiced such?  Uphill or down, hold low.  But again, at close distances, probably will not matter.  Just a bit of shooting OCD...

Matt and I found posted signs when we went in to bait today.  I don't think they are correct, but at this stage in the game, what am I to do?

IMMEDIATELY call that ranger back and have him sort things out. Do you have a GPS ap or something similar to plot waypoints?  

I cannot stress enough to NOT take a head shot. Just the slightest twitch, and you have a really injured bear to try and track (best case), or a bear with a blown-off jaw that'll eventually die a few weeks later.

If you want a DRT bear, the best way to do it (and I'll also stress that you have to have a very steady rest, an accurate gun and good trigger squeeze) is to take a quartering-to shot on the point of its shoulder. You could only do that as a bear is approaching, so you'd have to make your mind up pretty quickly. Once it gets broadside, do not try to aim for its shoulders, they tend to be further forward than most people realize; a lung/heart shot is your only real choice there.

As far as follow-up shots go, trying to prepare for a quick second shot in advanced will undoubtedly make you pull your first shot.

From the slugs that you have listed, they will all do the job just fine. I would probably go with the one that shoots best.

I also noticed that you said "shooting stick". and I take that to mean mono-pod. If that's the case, you should give a bi-pod shooting stick a try, way steadier. You should be getting close accuracy results whether shooting from a lead-sled or from sticks. I have a bog pod that I'm not using for the rest of the year, if you'd like to try that.

Edited by flat9999

What distance was the target?  In any case, either will do.  You do not need precision, just accuracy.  At 30-40 yards your shooting should find the heart.

I like Hornady's stuff, but shoot the accuTips as well.

Are you shooting iron sights or scope?

Lastly, if you will be shooting from a treestand, at a large angle, have you practiced such?  Uphill or down, hold low.  But again, at close distances, probably will not matter.  Just a bit of shooting OCD...

IMMEDIATELY call that ranger back and have him sort things out. Do you have a GPS ap or something similar to plot waypoints?  

My practice shots have all been 40-50 yards.  The shot I anticipate taking is gonna be 30-40 yards.  I am shooting with a scope and from on the ground, behind a fallen tree from Sandy.  I currently do not have a GPS ap, just the property line maps from homesnap and google earth that I have printed and in my back-pack.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

I cannot stress enough to NOT take a head shot. Just the slightest twitch, and you have a really injured bear to try and track (best case), or a bear with a blown-off jaw that'll eventually die a few weeks later.

If you want a DRT bear, the best way to do it (and I'll also stress that you have to have a very steady rest, an accurate gun and good trigger squeeze) is to take a quartering-to shot on the point of its shoulder. You could only do that as a bear is approaching, so you'd have to make your mind up pretty quickly. Once it gets broadside, do not try to aim for its shoulders, they tend to be further forward than most people realize; a lung/heart shot is your only real choice there.

As far as follow-up shots go, trying to prepare for a quick second shot in advanced will undoubtedly make you pull your first shot.

From the slugs that you have listed, they will all do the job just fine. I would probably go with the one that shoots best.

I also noticed that you said "shooting stick". and I take that to mean mono-pod. If that's the case, you should give a bi-pod shooting stick a try, way steadier. You should be getting close accuracy results whether shooting from a lead-sled or from sticks. I have a bog pod that I'm not using for the rest of the year, if you'd like to try that.

The "Shooting Stick" has 2 legs that spred apart, so I guess it is actually a bi-pod. Thank you for the offer though :)

The sled was Dead On, but with the bi-pod, I was 2-3 inches low right with the AccuTips and an additional inch off with the Hornady's.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

The "Shooting Stick" has 2 legs that spred apart, so I guess it is actually a bi-pod. Thank you for the offer though :)

The sled was Dead On, but with the bi-pod, I was 2-3 inches low right with the AccuTips and an additional inch off with the Hornady's.

The "sled" supports the gun completely?  

Then you go to a shooting stick which only supports the front of the shotgun.

Sounds like it's your form -- You're pulling the shots -- maybe anticipating recoil -- figure these where also at the end of a shooting session -- anyone would flinch after 20 slugs

I have a 300 win mag -- at the range I can only shoot maybe 15 or 20 rounds before I catch myself flinching

Shoot again tomorrow or when you can, be fresh, rested no lead sled -- shoot the slugs that where dead on in the sled -- they're still dead on in the gun

breathe, squeeze, follow through -- work through the recoil -- only shoot a few slugs then quit -- don't practice bad habits

If that gun was dead on in a fully supported lead sled it's still dead on -- only thing that changed is the support

Any of today's slugs will take a bear down....what is good enough for deer is good enough for bears. I'm a fan of the Accutips. In the 12 GA stick with a 2-3/4" shell in the 20 GA the 3".....in 35 years I have tried and used many oh the mentioned slugs the most accurate is the Accutips