IGNORED

Braided line

Buckeyes11

38 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I simply look at it and if it's too fuzzy, do one of two things. Either new OR reverse it. Take off and switch the front to back....this will extend life. I only use 3 types. All hollow....jb, cortland c16, & seagar threadlock. 

I should clarify.....if fishing for bluefin replace, all others reverse 

On most of my reels, fresh and saltwater, no matter if it's braid or mono, I only replace about the top 1/2 the line's spool capacity. 

I never have to worry about catching a fish big enough to spool me. :rofl:

Edited by archer36

• 1 month later...

It really depends on the amount of use and, more importantly, the conditions where it's used.

Braid will last just about forever, I have reels that have 15 year old original Fireline (the fuzzy stuff) on them and it's still good to go.  Admittedly those are backups, Penn 706 and Mitchell 498 PUM, that only get used a few times a year when I feel like going old school. The braid on my regular use surf reel is probably 5 years old and has been reversed once. I expect to get a year or two more out of it.

Always buy 300 yard + spools for surf fishing applications, 125 is way too short, just a few cutbacks and you're casting to your backing, plus you can't reverse it, only onto a smaller reel.

Conditions matter. I have a setup I use to drift jigs under a bridge, that line is always rubbing against the concrete and pilings - that line gets changed yearly. There's a spot I baitfish in the spring with a deep hole. On the retrieve the line rubs against the sand lip. Amazing the damage that does. That line gets changed out every year as well. Both those reels use a shorter amount of line and extra backing since it's never going to be reversed.

If you fish around a lot of barnacle covered rocks you'll need to do it like that

Also, don't skimp on the line, it's cheap in the big picture and it's the most important link between you and that fish of a lifetime.

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962